VMware Cloud Community
yea73920
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Conver windows server 2003 to vSphere 6.5

Hi

I made a .vmdk file from a physical machine  by VMware Converter, os is windows server 2003, After I import vmdk file to my vSphere 6.5,

It's can't be launch, and showing an error message: SCSI 0:0  disk not support or can't use

dfsdfsdfsdf-2.jpg

Could you help me fix it?

Many thanks

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With VMware Workstation as the target format, the resulting virtual disk (.vmdk) is a monolithic sparse .vmdk file. This format is not supported by ESXi 6.5, and need to be converted to a supported one.

One option to solve this issue is to convert the Workstation VM (i.e. the result of the P2V conversion) again, this time with the ESXi host as the target.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please provide some more details on how exactly you converted the server, e.g. to which format.

Add a complete list of files which make up the VM (the output of dir *.* or ls -lisa - depending on your OS), and attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to your next reply post.

André

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

can you try the steps in the below kb and share us the results

VMware Knowledge Base

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
yea73920
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

Thank for reply,

Here is my process on windows server 2003

1.chose local machine

pic 001.jpg

2.Select product and output file location

.pic 002.jpg

3.chose the main partition

pic 003.jpg

4.show the detail information

pic 004.jpg

Output location

圖片 6.jpg

.vmx file is on attachment

If any information need to post on it, please let me know

Thank for your helping

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With VMware Workstation as the target format, the resulting virtual disk (.vmdk) is a monolithic sparse .vmdk file. This format is not supported by ESXi 6.5, and need to be converted to a supported one.

One option to solve this issue is to convert the Workstation VM (i.e. the result of the P2V conversion) again, this time with the ESXi host as the target.

André

yea73920
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André

Thank you very much ,It's work : )

0 Kudos