6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2006 12:19 PM by juchestyle

Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices

jwnchoate Enthusiast

I am working on putting our first AD domain controller into an ESX 2.5 Server.

-Windows 2000 AD domain

-We have 25 locations with a stand alone DC

the Master DC is in another City, the one Im virtualizing will sync with it (incl time)

-NTP is setup on the ESX

Basically I want obtain any information I need to know before embarking on this endeavor.  Time Sync is an issue and I don't want to have issues there, and I have read the 'recomended method' from VMWare.  Is there any other issues besides time syncing that I should be aware of?  Is there any problems I need to know about?

• 1. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
          Champion

Nope, I think TimeSync is the only major gotcha. You'll want to use the BusLogic SCSI driver for Win2k, and make sure you install VMWare tools, apart from that you can't go wrong really.

• 2. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
            jwnchoate Enthusiast

I currently have setup the LSI Logic controller, mainly out of habit, is there a major difference between the two. 

Also, on the time sync...let me get this straight.

1.  NTP on ESX points to Corp DC for time

2.  Set NoSync in reg for time service, and leave W32Time for clients

3.  Set Sync in VMTools to see the host.

= my dc will not have any time issues...

I had to do a little convincing with the boss to get the go ahead and test the premise that we could do this without problems.  I dont have a lot of wiggle room to resolve problems after the fact.

• 3. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
              Champion

Well on training courses you are always told "use vm tools sync time with host rather than the Windows time service". The reason they gave was the way the Windows time service works, which can lead to a situation where the drift rate in the VM is larger than the adjustments the time service is making.

In practice we've been having the VM Tools sync with the host in combination with the windows time service and haven't seen any problems from doing this.

I don't think there's much difference performance wise between the LSI logic and BusLogic SCSI drivers, it's just that BusLogic is the default for W2K. I wouldn't bother changing it if it's already configured to use LSI.

• 4. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
                juchestyle Master

Hey Jwnchoate,

Is this your first vm?  A good strategy when you are first starting out is to first virtualize low priority servers so that you get your feet wet with the less important stuff.  Making mistakes on low important servers keeps VMware afraid management at bay, while allowing you to perfect your skills.

Just an idea or thought to consider.  But I love the idea that you are moving forward.  Great luck and I agree it seems like you have your ducks in a row (as long as this isn't your first vm.)

Respectfully,

• 5. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
                  jwnchoate Enthusiast

Its not the first vm....just the first DC as a vm.

We run a good portion of systems as virtual, including some database apps that got bit with some time sync issues once the processing power started to ramp up.  We eventually worked those out with NTP and vmtools.  Just doing a little preliminary research to see if there were any unknowns before diving in.

• 6. Re: Windows 2000 Domain Controller - best practices
                    juchestyle Master

Fantastic,

Great luck to you!

Respectfully,