VMware Communities
kurtbuff
Contributor
Contributor

Win10 1607, Workstation Pro 14, new installation, neither NAT nor automatic bridged networking working

Hardware: Lenovo T460P, with Intel Dual Band-AC 8260 and Intel I219-LM NICs

I've both wired and wireless networks with the VMware Bridged Protocol both selected and not selected, can't seem to get a network connection of any kind for the Win10 1709 VM I've spun up.

I see VMware Network Adapters VMnet1 and VMnet8, and when I look at the network configuration in VMware I also see VMnet0.

As part of my troubleshooting, I'd removed VMnet1 and VMnet8, then I closed down the VM and Workstation itself, then launched vmnetcfg.exe as administrator to reset to default, with no luck.

Been looking over various VMware documents for a few hours now, and don't see what I might be doing wrong, and nor can I figure out how to get to the VMware web site to file a support request under the complimentary 30-day installation support. (My copy was ordered by our purchasing department with a credit card, and not under the account listed in our support contracts.)

Can someone here provide a clue or three?

Thanks,

Kurt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kurtbuff
Contributor
Contributor

I've narrowed it down.

If I am connected to wifi via my cellphone hotspot, the VM gets a connection, and all is good. I can tell this because I get an address in the same subnet as the laptop, and MSFT DirectAccess works flawlessly.

If I try to get a connection for the VM while my laptop is connected to our enterprise wifi (which uses 802.1x auth via certificates), I get no connection.

I don't even see an entry in the radius server (2008 R2 NPS).

The VM is in the correct AD groups and has the certificates required from our AD CA, which it picked up when I joined it to the domain while it was on the wireless network. I know this because, as stated above, DirectAccess works perfectly when on a non-802.1x wireless network.

So, I've scoured the interwebs for about an hour looking for clues on how to get a VM connected to a wifi 802.1x network, with seemingly no usable results.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kurt

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I try to get a connection for the VM while my laptop is connected to our enterprise wifi (which uses 802.1x auth via certificates), I get no connection.

Have you checked with the administrator of your enterprise WiFi network that VMs are allowed to access it. They could have MAC filtering in place which would block access from VMs.

0 Kudos