VMware Cloud Community
Jey10
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere control lost after one link of an agregate is shut

Hi,

I'm encountering a strange behavior between my vCenter (5.5) and Nexus switches.

I have 5 physical ESX in a c7000 HP enclosure with 2 Nexus B22 FEX (let's call them N1 and N2) inside the chassis. The ESX are connected via the vswitch to both of the Nexus in an active active way (I tried with active/backup too).

When I shut N1, all the VM on the ESX are still accessible via N2, but I don't know why I lose the control on vSphere, I can't do a vMotion for example.

So that happens when I shut the uplink between N1 and the nexus parent (5624Q). BUT it doesn't happen when I just shut the 5 interfaces connected to the ESX on N1 (without shutting the whole FEX).

When I shut N2, the problem doesn't exist, it works fine, even when I shut the uplink.

The vCenter is a VM that is on one of these ESX. I've tried to put the vCenter on another ESX that is not on the HP chassis but the problem is the same.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Probably there's is no redundancy of management network is configured on vSwitch's up-link sets. You must have configured vmotion on the same management network that's why you are loosing both functions at same time. Check teaming and fail-over options for management network.

0 Kudos
imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do you mean by you lose control of vSphere? If you are exclusively talking about not being able to vMotion, then you will need to check the port group assigned for vMotion traffic. This can have a different failover method/Uplink usage than the other port groups on the same vswitch and may be active/standby

it would be handy to see how your vswitch is actually configured

0 Kudos