VMware Cloud Community
salimmohammed
Contributor
Contributor

New datastore grayed out

I have installed Esxi 6.7 in USB drive and I did Raid 5 on 3 disks SAS 15 krpm 300GB, I can see my 3 disks as one drive but when I try to create the second datastore I find the link of create new data store grayed out after creation of the first datastore despite the space availability.

Also when I go to Storage --> DataStores I find New Datastore link enabled but the wizard give me "No devices with free space"

I noticed the Smart Array P440ar status is Unknown, Is it normal or something wrong with drivers ?

I have spent around 5 days digging into Internet pages without success. Any Idea's ?

My server is HP Proliant DL-380

See pictures

1.png

2.png

3.png

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

VMware supports only a single datastore per LUN, so what you may do is to use the "Increase Capacity" wizard for the existing 141GB datastore.

André

salimmohammed
Contributor
Contributor

How I can add multiple LUNs for the current Raid5 ? Do I need third-party tools ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the screenshots you posted, you've already resized the LUN, and shrinking it may not be possible anymore.

Anyway, if you want to create multiple virtual volumes on a RAID set on HPE hosts, you can use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility). On newer server models it's integrated in the BIOS (pressing "F5" once the SmartArray controller is displayed). For older server models, it's available on the SmartStart, or SPP images.

André

salimmohammed
Contributor
Contributor

I was thinking I can create many luns over one array of raid5, which is not possible.

Thank you very much,

0 Kudos