VMware Communities
EdgarRay
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Fusion 7 to 10 currently Yosemite 10.10

I would really appreciate some assistance. I currently have Fusion 7 running on Mac 10.10.5. I want to upgrade to High Sierra. I know Fusion 7 needs to be upgraded to Fusion 10. That is not a problem but in what order should I do these 2 upgrades?  I have read what I can find but want to make sure I don’t lose my critical data that is running in Windows XP machine currently in Fusion 7. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your Virtual Machines are independent from the VMware Fusion software.

What I would do in your case is:

- verify the CPU in your host that it can actually run VMware Fusion 10. System Requirements for Fusion 10

- make a copy of your important VMs to an external disk (do NOT depend on time machine for this) with your Virtual Machines shut down, not suspended. If possible, commit any open snapshot on those virtual machines

- uninstall VMware Fusion 7

- upgrade to High Sierra

- install VMware Fusion 10

FWIW, the extra copy/backup of your important VMs might not be required, but if somewhere during the upgrade process you (or HS) decides to wipe the install then the backup has got you covered.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos