VMware Cloud Community
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 7.4 REST API - Sync directory = "not found"

Hello,

I'm trying to use the API call to sync a specific directory using this : vRealize Automation Identity Service API - VMware API Explorer - VMware {code}  (/identity/api/tenants/{tenantId}/directories/{id}/sync)

As {id}, I use the name of the directory I want to sync. I retrieved the name using /identity/api/tenants/{tenantId}/directories/ listing. This listing doesn't contains any "id" field, only "name" field...

But when I try to execute command to sync a specific directory, I get the following message (assuming "my.directory.name" as the directory I want to sync:

{

"errors": [

{

"code": 10102,

"source": null,

"message": "Resource not found.",

"systemMessage": "Cannot find a directory with domain name 'my.directory.name' in tenant 'vsphere.local'!",

"moreInfoUrl": null

}

]

}

Command is : /identity/api/tenants/vsphere.local/directories/my.directory.name/sync

Anyone have an idea ?

Or do I have to contact VMware support ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect timing, we found the problem this morning!

In fact, when we first configured our Directory of type "Active Directory over LDAP", we didn't check the option "This Directory supports DNS Service location" and we entered a specific Active Directory controller host name.

This works with manual and scheduled update from vRA but not from REST API, why? simply because REST API needs the ID to start a sync. And this ID is in fact the "domain" value that we have to use!

There's 2 possibilities to find this value :

• List the directories using REST API
  • On administration page, go in directory details and on the right, there is "Domain(s)" field

The problem is that when we configure a specific Active Directory Controller, this "domain" field is set to empty (in REST API call) or "Not applicable" on the administration web page...

To solve the problem, we had to:

1. Delete the directory
  2. Wait until it is completely deleted
  3. Recreate directory
    1. Check option "This Directory supports DNS Service location"
    2. Enter ROOT CA Certificate of Domain (because we want STARTTLS connections)
  4. Done ! the "Domain(s)" field is not displaying our domain FQDN

Warning!

Do not try to edit the existing directory to check box "This Directory supports DNS Service location" because you'll get an error with the "Base DN" which is set to blank every time you click on "Save"...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The response indicates that resource isn't found, so are you sure you're using the correct name?

0 Kudos
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm sure. I use exactly the same name returned by the command that lists all the directories.

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does the name of you directory contain any "special" characters that need to be encoded?

0 Kudos
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, there is no special characters. There are only 2 dots "." in it. But, to be sure, one of the first test I did was to rename the directory to have only letters, in lowercase, and the result is the same, it's not working.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In my test, a POST to that resource works fine and triggers a directory sync.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did another test but is still have the same error.

The only difference with you is that I have more headers returned by vRA, (14 instead of 9 for you):

Cache-Control no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, must-revalidate

Cache-Control no-cache, no-store

Content-Length 197

Content-Type application/json;charset=UTF-8

Date Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:26:35 GMT

Expires 0

Expires Wed, 31 Dec 1969 23:59:59 GMT

Pragma no-cache

Pragma no-cache

Strict-Transport-Security max-age=31536000 ; includeSubDomains

X-Content-Type-Options nosniff

X-Frame-Options DENY

X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN

X-XSS-Protection 1; mode=block

0 Kudos
THeReap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect timing, we found the problem this morning!

In fact, when we first configured our Directory of type "Active Directory over LDAP", we didn't check the option "This Directory supports DNS Service location" and we entered a specific Active Directory controller host name.

This works with manual and scheduled update from vRA but not from REST API, why? simply because REST API needs the ID to start a sync. And this ID is in fact the "domain" value that we have to use!

There's 2 possibilities to find this value :

• List the directories using REST API
  • On administration page, go in directory details and on the right, there is "Domain(s)" field

The problem is that when we configure a specific Active Directory Controller, this "domain" field is set to empty (in REST API call) or "Not applicable" on the administration web page...

To solve the problem, we had to:

1. Delete the directory
  2. Wait until it is completely deleted
  3. Recreate directory
    1. Check option "This Directory supports DNS Service location"
    2. Enter ROOT CA Certificate of Domain (because we want STARTTLS connections)
  4. Done ! the "Domain(s)" field is not displaying our domain FQDN

Warning!

Do not try to edit the existing directory to check box "This Directory supports DNS Service location" because you'll get an error with the "Base DN" which is set to blank every time you click on "Save"...

0 Kudos