VMware Cloud Community
nunciate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Remove Standard Switch Port Groups

Seeing something odd.  We are finally upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 and after migrating our hosts from one vCenter to another I noticed some standard switch port groups that remain listed under Networking even though none of the hosts have standard switches anymore.

To migrate we moved all networking to standard switches.
Then we disconnected our host from vCenter 5.5 and connected them to vCenter 6.5.

Finally we migrated everything from standard to the new distributed switches.

I think we may have deleted a standard switch without actually removing each of the port groups first and that may be why they are stuck there.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove these.  They aren't hurting anything but I like a clean view of my environment so would prefer to get rid of these.

Here is the switch view.  Shows 3 extra groups there that should be gone.  No VMs and no hosts assigned to them and I can't see a way to remove them.

StandardSwitch.PNG

Here the switch view for our hosts.  They all look the same.  There are no standard switches.  These are all VDS.

StandardSwitch2.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess.

Do any of the VM's have active snapshots?

If the snapshots were created at a time at which the VM was sill attached to one of these port groups, you may need to delete these snapshots in order to get rid of the entries.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess.

Do any of the VM's have active snapshots?

If the snapshots were created at a time at which the VM was sill attached to one of these port groups, you may need to delete these snapshots in order to get rid of the entries.

André

nunciate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good Idea.  We use Veeam for backup and Replication.  I did in fact find VMs with some stuck temp snapshots.
Removing those snapshots caused the switches to disappear.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Ghaith9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it was correct , Thanks for saving my day

0 Kudos
NLaSalle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue and this worked for me as well.  thanks!

0 Kudos