VMware Communities
Innocenzo
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to load vmware snapshot on vmware workstation player 12?

same as the title

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether I understand the question correctly.

Anyway, existing VMs with snapshots will work, but you cannot create, or delete snapshots.

André

0 Kudos
Innocenzo
Contributor
Contributor

Of course I cannot create. I have a few snapshot in vmware folder, how do I load it?

let say I have 3 snapshots, and I wanna load OS1-Snapshot2.vmsn, how do I load those snapshot2 ? is there any way to choose which one to load?

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, unfortunately not in VMware Player.

In order to load a VM from a specific snapshot in the chain, VMware Workstation Pro creates an additional snapshot to prevent the original snapshot .vmdk file from being modified, which would break the snapshot chain.

What you'd need to to, is to create/get an "empty" (metadata only) snapshot (e.g. from the Workstation on which the VM has originally been created), and chain it to the desired state/snapshot. then edit the VM's .vmx file (or create a copy) and change the virtual disk's name to the extra snapshot's .vmdk name.

André

0 Kudos
Innocenzo
Contributor
Contributor

What you'd need to to, is to create/get an "empty" (metadata only) snapshot (e.g. from the Workstation on which the VM has originally been created), and chain it to the desired state/snapshot. then edit the VM's .vmx file (or create a copy) and change the virtual disk's name to the extra snapshot's .vmdk name.

I don't much understand about this, could you please elaborate?

0 Kudos