6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2019 3:40 AM by mgerbasio

Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update

skeleton_bob Lurker

I've been running a Win 7 32 bit OS in VMWare Workstation 12 Player v 12.0.0 build-2985596 on a Win 10 v 1709 host for some time without problems. All of a sudden after the guest OS installed windows updates (I think KB915597 but it's hard to be certain because it installed automatically and now I can't get to the update history), I get the "A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual ..." message as soon as it completes startup.

Anybody got any ideas?

• 1. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
          daphnissov Guru
          vExpertCommunity Warriors

Restore from backup?

• 2. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
            skeleton_bob Lurker

Of course, several times already, but with Windows updates set to automatically install I always end up in the same situation.

So the only way I have found to get out of the cycle is to run the VM from backup on a machine isolated from the internet so it can't automatically download updates, change update settings so that I can choose which to download and install, and install each one at a time to see if that particular one crashes the VM. KB4093113 and KB4093118 do.

• 3. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
              BNRoche Lurker

Hi Skeleton_bob, I was/am having a similar issue. I'm running windows 7 32bit in Fusion 10.1.1 on OSX 10.13.4. Windows did an update then I couldn't run it any more. I would get the error "A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual ..."

I found it would do the above when it tried to connect to the network adapter. So in hardware setting for the virtual machine I unchecked "Connect Network Adapter". Started up windows again and no problems. I then found your post, uninstalled my last two updates KB4093118 and KB2952664. I then switched the network adapter back on and it started up without any errors.

• 4. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
                JMASEK Lurker

Hi

same Problem with the incompatible updates!

Suppressing Windows Updates as a Workaround is fine.

But how about a final fix of this issue !?

best regards

Jiri

• 5. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
                  skeleton_bob Lurker

I might have an answer to this. After searching on the internet I found some others who had similar issues, one of whom posted a log that (apparently) showed their VM trying unsuccessfully to access a flash drive just before the crash. For what reason is anyone's guess.

Anyway, this made me wonder if my problem started when I began using an SD card on my host machine. So I took it out and re-tried a recent update that had crashed the VM on first attempt (it was consistently the monthly quality rollups that broke it). It worked.

The SD card slot on my host machine (and likely most/all others) connects via the USB controller, which means that a USB stick drive would probably cause the same thing. The solution to it would appear to be unchecking the "Automatically connect new USB devices" option in the VM settings so the VM doesn't pick up any of the host's USB drives on startup.

• 6. Re: Win 7 VM crashing on startup after update
                    mgerbasio Enthusiast

I don't see the checkbox for Automatically connect new USB devices in Settings, Hardware tab, USB Controller or anywhere else. I'm running VMware Workstation 15 Player. Where is this setting located?