VMware Communities
player0
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Installation So Slow, Has To Run Overnight.

Linux Mint is the main OS on my laptop and up till now I have used VMWare Player as a hypervisor

to run Windows 10 as a VM. Now I have had to reinstall Linux and assumed I could use VMWare as before.

Where to begin with the problems ? At the beginning, I suppose.

First, although I tried to download Player, I ended up directed to downloading Workstation and got this file :

VMware-Workstation-Full-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle

Later I did manage manage to download this :

VMware-Player-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle

Now both look like their job is to install a VMWare product.

The problems start when you actually try to run these jobs.

First, they appear as a normal text file with code that looks like C ( or some similar language ).

Second, there is a green bar near the top of the screen, presumably showing the extent to which the installation has progressed.

The problem is that this bar fills up microscopically slowly.

Thirdly, at the bottom right of the window it says something like : Line 347648 col 144.

This presumably is supposed to show exactly what part of the code is actually being executed at the time.

Sometimes a given Line/col combination will remain visible for minutes.

I kicked off the Workstation job at approx 8pm.

By 1am the bar was only about a third full so I left it running while I went to bed.

When I woke up and reactivated the laptop the job had finished.

However the only VMWare files anywhere on the system are those installation jobs.

Any chance at all that I could actually get these installations to run successfully ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure how you have tried to run the bundle installs?

It sounds to me like you've tried to open them in a text editor (Line / Col numbers suggest that)

That's not how an install looks like.

The "green bar" might have been a progress bar of your text editor trying to open a very large file.

It is true that a bundle is partly script / partly binary.

The way to run the bundle is to:

- first make it executable:

chmod +x VMware-Player-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle

- then run it as follows from within the current folder:

./VMware-Player-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle

(That's a dot and a slash before the full filename)

You should get to see an installation screen, not line/column numbers and a green progress bar.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
player0
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for showing me those commands. I have now used them and Workstation Player is now successfully installed on my laptop.

How did I try to run the bundle installs ? By right-clicking on them in the Downloads folder.

Now I cannot remember how I PREVIOUSLY installed Player but I am sure it did not involve using 'primitive' line-commands.

Indeed I am very surprised that VMWare assumes that anybody wanting to install their software knows the Terminal commands to do so.

And indeed knows in the first place that Terminal commands must be used. Certainly on the page offering the download

I cannot remember any message to that effect.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Technically you could make it executable in your file manager (right click and check the executable checkbox) and then double click the bundle to run it.

But it depends on the file manager of the Linux version that you use if it works and how it exactly works.

Not all of them are the same, the commands to use in the terminal are more fail proof to that respect.

Glad to hear you got it working, in the end that is what counts.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos