VMware Horizon Community
rcscott44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Win10 v1609 Writable volume can't function on Win10 v1703

We have been running App Volumes 2.13.2 for about 2 months stably.  We have Win10 v1607 Instant Clone pools and our users all have Writable Volumes with (UIA + Profile).  Everything is working fine.   Now, I am building a Win10 v1703 because MS says they are no longer supporting build 1607.  Half of my existing AppStacks function properly on 1703, but any Stack that has a licensed MS app on it fails to run correctly (almost always errors with licensing reg keys)  Making a fresh AppStack on a 1703 capture machine solve the issue as expected.

Here is the issue.  A user who has an existing Writable Volume cannot log into the v1703 pool at all.  The connection is made, but the VDI displays a permanent black screen.  If I provide a clean writable to the user, it all works normally.  Is there any way to migrate the Writable Volumes from 1607 to 1709?  Having to re-initialize users on 100 profiles would be a major impact.

-Bob

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maharajan_be
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are also facing the same issue.. The users are getting black screen and unable to log into the v1709 pool at all.

is there any way to make user's writable volume (UIA+ profile) to work on Windows 10 v1709..

0 Kudos
rcscott44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We never found a solution.  I ended up blowing away all existing writables and assigning brand new ones.  We have since upgraded a few levels to AppVol 2.15, Horizon 7.7 and Windows 10 LTSC 2019 for the desktops.

-Bob

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try using UEM for saving settings outside of the writable and use the profile cleanup from UEM. This way settings are being merged into the writable from the UEM personal settings, it might just work. No guarantee though.

0 Kudos
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know if VMware claims that this should work? It sure would be nice.

0 Kudos
maharajan_be
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I noticed windows explorer (explorer.exe) process is not running on the machine after writable volume is attached. I tried running explorer.exe manually didn't help

0 Kudos