VMware Cloud Community
LandLord323
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issues adding VMDK

I am using ESXI 6.5 eval edition...  I built a 2016 windows server, then add and existing disk(size 850GB).  When I boot, it says not operating system found.   I remove the added VMDK and boot and works fine.  From here I can added the vmdk and it shows up in the windows server.  However. when I go into the VM settings to change to independent  the file size shows 40GB.. thinking ok.. maybe a GUI issues, so I hit save...

then I get the error message.. Failed to reconfigure virtual machine HDC. Unable to access file <filename>.vmdk -

This is strange, in the VM I can see and all all files... and when I browse the Datastore I can see the vmdk???

Please any help would be great.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LandLord323
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

issue was resolved, previously the hard drive had been part of a broken snap shot.  Once I fixed the parameters of the vmdk, it started working correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As a first step, please check which version of the  ESXi Embedded Host Client you have, and consider to update it to the latest one.

André

0 Kudos
LandLord323
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not sure how to tell which version is installed?  the version installed was downloaded on March 11, 2018.

0 Kudos
LandLord323
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so I tried to add via VMWorkstation 14  and I get the follow settings...

VMAddVMDK.PNG

0 Kudos
LandLord323
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

issue was resolved, previously the hard drive had been part of a broken snap shot.  Once I fixed the parameters of the vmdk, it started working correctly.

0 Kudos