VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

move a providerVDC to a new vcloud/vcenter environment

I've an environment with a vcloud director, a vcenter, 2 different clusters: clusterA and clusterB

Each cluster give resources to a different providerVDCs: clusterA to providervdcA and clusterB to providervdcB

Both the providersVDCs contain, orgs,  orgVDCs, vapps and so on.

Now I need to move clusterB (and providervdcB,  orgs, vapps...)  to a new vcenter and a new vcloud director.

Which is the procedure to do it ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

"Now I need to move clusterB (and providervdcB,  orgs, vapps...)  to a new vcenter and a new vcloud director."

As far as I recall, there isn't a very clean way to do this.  There are some things you can do to make it easier.

For example, if you can stand up the vCloud Director, vCenter, and a small number of ESXi hosts (even just one) ... you can do something like this.

1. Publish a catalog from the existing vCloud Director instance in the Orgs

2. Use the new vCloud to subscribe to it.

3. Sync the catalog.

4. Then copy the contents to a local catalog. (this is to be done for when you break the sync eventually)

You can do the same sort of thing for vApps, assuming the new vCloud Director instance has virtually identical settings in the Org vCD to the Original.

1. Power off the vApp,

2. Copy the vApp to catalog with Identical settings preserved,

3. Sync to the other side,

4. deploy one copy of it,

5. Verify that it works

6. then delete it from catalog and the source vCloud Director instance.

Some companies offer solutions that can make this a bit more automatic, but the above is at least included in vCloud Director itself.

0 Kudos