VMware Cloud Community
DaveKing43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

move vcenter to another datastore

Hello, I tried to move the vCenter server to another datastore as the existing Datasotre needs to be decomissioned. I started the migrate and it seems to be moving along fine. I lost connectivity to vSphere, the only way I can connect is dorectly to one of the ESX servers. I can see th evcenter server but I now have 2 of them. One still showing on the old datastore and one on the new, but all optoipns are grayed out. The old Datastore server looks to nbe on, but only a blue screen. not sure how to fix. running vsphere 5.1. My gol is to decomission this old environment, but I am stiuk, any help woul dbe appreciated, I am new to VMware, not an expert.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Debashish_Rath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion should be the correct option moving from one Datastore to another.

Sincerely, Debashish Kumar Rath SkyLine Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Debashish_Rath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you see the Blue Screen on the vCenter machine console ?

0 Kudos
Debashish_Rath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It will be better to restart the vCenter Machine or re-register back to the Inventory. 

0 Kudos
DaveKing43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Blue screen was on the console, apparently it was trying to shut down, it finally has, now the second instance of the vcenter shows as Orphaned. I assume th eDatastore move failed. can you tell me th ebest way to move this to another Datastore, I initally left the server on and did a Migrate of the Datastore only, but it took over 8 hours and failed. not sure if this is the correct way to move. thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Debashish_Rath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion should be the correct option moving from one Datastore to another.

0 Kudos
DaveKing43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it is OK to do it while th system is powered on, not sure why it failed th efirst time, but
I can try it again. I will follow up, thanks

0 Kudos
ibeydogan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you should try disconnect vcenter's host from cluster  and re-connect host to cluster

0 Kudos
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Dave,

The best way in your situation I can recommend to do cloning of the vCenter server. Or you may perform v2v conversion.

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
Skyline Support Moderator
MCSE-2003/2008|RHCA|VCP-5/6/VCAP-6
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Stroage vmotion is the best option, I'm not sure why would ever do a v2v conversion for somethign this simple.Vmotion failed because of the bluescreen, if it happens again you have more problems then just storage vmotioning vcenter. I'd open a ticket with support.

0 Kudos
adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos