VMware Cloud Community
ne0031
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 5.5 - an error occurred while opening a virtual disk.

Verify that the converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination esx hosts.

Source is 3.0.2, dest is Dell preinstall 6.5 7388607. (single host on each side)

Have tried both remote and local converter installs on virtual servers. Both fail with the same error. Tried host to host (no vCenter,) then installed a vCenter to try the thumbprint fix, no change. Installed an esx5 host (vm) running on the 6.5 box and it works fine. Tried to v2v using 5.5, 6, and 6.2, with and without ssl (worker and server), from 5 to 6.5 with the same error.

Attached are logs. I saw the reservation message but no reservations exist.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, the most important log, converter-worker.log, is missing.

Find logs in folder "%ProgramData%VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs".

0 Kudos
ne0031
Contributor
Contributor

Here are a few from the remote machine running converter. No such file exists on the machine with the local install.

0 Kudos
ne0031
Contributor
Contributor

172.16.8.5 is vcsa 6.5

172.16.8.6 is esx6.5

172.16.8.15 is esx 3

172.16.8.110 is esx5 running nested on .6

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Probably you fail into case with TLS1.0 disablement, so you need to change <sslOptions>123422720</sslOptions> to <sslOptions>56313856</sslOptions> in all converter-xxx.xml, then restart services, and in converter-client.xml, then restart UI. Look at SSL Exception when Converter tries to connect to vCenter

HTH

0 Kudos
ne0031
Contributor
Contributor

I've already made the ssl change.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, the exact error is:

2018-03-27T06:26:53.947-07:00 error vmware-converter-worker[01848] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] class Vmacore::Ssl::SSLException(SSL Exception: error:14077102:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsupported protocol)

From the other side, if your ESX are "too old" i.e. 3.x, you can try to change the value to 22759424 which enables SSLv3, if this not helps you can try to add another ssl options controlling used protocols: <cipherList>!aNULL:kECDH+AES:ECDH+AES:RSA+AES:@STRENGTH</cipherList>

Keep in mind that lowering security is not good idea and you will do all these changes at your own risk.

HTH

By the way these options are for Converter 6.2

0 Kudos
ne0031
Contributor
Contributor

During testing, I had turned ssl off as well. Would that not cover the alternate encryption? Again, converting from 3.0.2 to 5.0 works fine, but 3 to 6.5 nor 5 to 6.5 works.(With the default ssl or with it disabled.)

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can't understand your point - did you test my previous proposal?

There is difference between "turning off" ssl while converting and ssl options when connecting to VC/ESX.

0 Kudos