VMware Horizon Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

HORIZON VIEW INQUIRIES

Licensing:

1. Do I still need to purchase a separate vSphere licenses (essentials plus kit, standard / enterprise plus  acceleration kit) to setup a VDI?

Or if I buy a 100 users Horizon View Advanced license, both vCenter and ESXi hosts are already included? If yes, how many hosts will it be licensed?

If horizon is in a prod dr configuration:

1. will users in connection server PROD will be replicated to connection server DR? Given both servers are configured in the PROD connection server.
2. if active-passive scenario will occur, do you still license the the DR connection server? Like if 50 users Horizon Advanced in PROD, a separate 50 users Horizon Advanced in DR?
3. Can you use an existing vCenter Server (Standard from an existing Enterprise Plus) to connect to a new connection server / new VDI environment?

O setup a vCenter Server for Desktop using Horizon licenses?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
balagbm2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Do I still need to purchase a separate vSphere licenses (essentials plus kit, standard / enterprise plus  acceleration kit) to setup a VDI? No need to buy seperate vSphere licenses to setup vdi , you need to run only VDI workload in terms of VDI management servers and VDI Desktops.

Or if I buy a 100 users Horizon View Advanced license, both vCenter and ESXi hosts are already included? If yes, how many hosts will it be licensed? if you buy 100 users horizon view advanced license you will get vSphere Desktop, vCenter Desktop. no limitations of VMware ESXi but all the hosts must run only VDI workloads

If horizon is in a prod dr configuration:

1. will users in connection server PROD will be replicated to connection server DR? Given both servers are configured in the PROD connection server. Use global POD architecture only user data needs to be replicated to the DR Site
2. if active-passive scenario will occur, do you still license the the DR connection server? Like if 50 users Horizon Advanced in PROD, a separate 50 users Horizon Advanced in DR? if its active-passive scenario only 50 users horizon advanced required
3. Can you use an existing vCenter Server (Standard from an existing Enterprise Plus) to connect to a new connection server / new VDI environment?

O setup a vCenter Server for Desktop using Horizon licenses? use a separate new vcenter server to avoid management complexity

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the swift response balagbm2017

Or if I buy a 100 users Horizon View Advanced license, both vCenter and ESXi hosts are already included? If yes, how many hosts will it be licensed? if you buy 100 users horizon view advanced license you will get vSphere Desktop, vCenter Desktop. no limitations of VMware ESXi but all the hosts must run only VDI workloads

**how do you categorized VDI workloads? can I run my RDS hosts inside the servers? Domain controllers, Active Directory and certificate servers (for VDI deployment) inside too?**

1. will users in connection server PROD will be replicated to connection server DR? Given both servers are configured in the PROD connection server. Use global POD architecture only user data needs to be replicated to the DR Site

**so if I'm correct, If users will connect to the DR site after the PROD site goes down to access their published apps, they no longer need to be configured again in the DR connection server? entitlements will also be replicated the DR?**

0 Kudos
balagbm2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

**how do you categorized VDI workloads? can I run my RDS hosts inside the servers? Domain controllers, Active Directory and certificate servers (for VDI deployment) inside too?** . (Yes you can run RDS hosts inside the server including DC, ADC and CS etc which has to serve only your VDI workloads)

**so if I'm correct, If users will connect to the DR site after the PROD site goes down to access their published apps, they no longer need to be configured again in the DR connection server? entitlements will also be replicated the DR?**. This will be taken care by global pod architecture.

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

**how do you categorized VDI workloads? can I run my RDS hosts inside the servers? Domain controllers, Active Directory and certificate servers (for VDI deployment) inside too?** . (Yes you can run RDS hosts inside the server including DC, ADC and CS etc which has to serve only your VDI workloads)

---> What if I configured 2 to 3 servers that is not needed for VDI? like a database for a non-VDI system or an antivirus system?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Everything has to be dedicated to VDI. Any databases installed have to be used to support the VDI infrastructure. You can install antivirus solutions, but they can only be used by the virtual desktop platform. You can install monitoring tools, but they can only monitor the virtual desktops. If it is not used to support your virtual desktop environment it cannot be used.

0 Kudos