VMware Cloud Community
marsherian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managing non-VCF deployed management DNS entries?

Is there any documentation on supported methods for extending the unbound configuration within VCF?
I have deployed several products into the management domain independent of the VCF deployment, such as VROPs/vRA. I have manually edited the unbound.conf on the SDDC Manager Controller and Utility VMs to effect propagation into core DNS, but I doubt this is a supported workaround.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do the workloads you've added fall under the DNS zone ("mycomp.com") or the VCF subzone ("vcf.mycomp.com")?

The expectation is that SDDC Manager "owns" the subzone and should be the only thing adding/updating entries to the unbound configuration.  All other DNS entries should be managed from the DNS server/forwarder.

Can you share what kind of workloads you've added?  Maybe you've hit a use-case that we missed?

That said, I don't believe anything will break by manually updating the unbound configuration.  However, the risk you run is with needing to monitor this as they may get removed during upgrades for example. 

0 Kudos
marsherian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aye, so this is a VCF 2.1 based deployment, and we have deployed vRealize Automation and vRealize Operations in the Management Domain. Which were not available for deployment via SDDC Manager in that release.

0 Kudos