VMware Communities
onpoint331
Contributor
Contributor

How to move virtual PC from current mac to new mac

Anyway, I have vmware installed on a new mac. I am trying to move my virtual machine from the old mac to the new mac. But every file I navigate to is grayed out. I have the two machines connected by ethernet so I should be able to import whatever it is I need. I went to users>library> VM and all the virtual machines are grayed out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Customer service is abysmal. Every single time I upgrade they tell me my contact information is incorrect. NO IT'S NOT. All my contact information has been the same for 10 years and they're giving me a hard time about my zip + four for a DOWNLOAD. Every single time. In another year or two, I'll go through the same crap.

4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Simplest thing to do is to copy the VM bundles from the current mac to the new mac; and then open the VM bundles from the new mac after copying is complete. You could just use an external USB SSD/HDD for faster results to copy between the new macs for faster results; copying over the network would likely be slower.

For Windows VMs, just make sure that you answer "I Moved It" instead of "I Copied It" so that it will not require licence reactivation. Sometimes reactivation will require re-entry of the Windows licence key.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In addition to what bluefirestorm says.

Note that the "import" functionality in the file menu is not for copying your VMs from another host (or disk).

The "import" functionality is for importing from a different virtual machine format.

Eg. from the help:

Importing Windows Virtual Machines

You can import into Fusion virtual machines that you created with Parallels Desktop, Microsoft Virtual PC, as well as virtual machines using the Open Virtualization Format (OVF).

Fusion can import virtual machines created with Parallels, Microsoft Virtual PC, or OVF.

You really should copy the whole VM bundle - with the guest OS shut down - and Fusion not running. Preferably also commit any snapshots you have open before copying.

Then copy to the new host.

Use File -> Open from the menu.

On startup answer "moved" as suggested.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
CakderK
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  I did copy the virtual machine bundle to the new machine but when I try to open it with Fusion, it is greyed out.  When I select that file with Fusion not running, it opens Fusion and the virtual machine opens and then tries to connect to the server I copied the bundle from.  If I authorize access to the server, the virtual machine works great. 

To bad we are selling that server so I need to move the virutal machine to the desktop along with the apps that run in it. 

Thanks for your support/help

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

With the current information it is unclear to me what the issue is.

Please navigate to that bundle and then right-click (control+click) the bundle, select "Show package contents", then from that list, attach the vmware.log and vmware-0.log files to a reply here. (The attach files button in your reply window can be found at the bottom right)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos