VMware Cloud Community
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.5 Error : [500] SSO error: Cannot connect to the VMware Component Manager

After reboot of my vCenter 6.5 Windows embedded server, all service come back online as per normal (CPU Spikes for approx. 5 mins), then comes back down.  When I try to launch the WEB GUI https://x.x.x.x/vsphere-client I get the following error:

Error : [500] SSO error: Cannot connect to the VMware Component Manager

vsphere_client_virgo logs show

[2018-03-19T16:03:33.434-04:00] [INFO ] cm-catalog-manager-pool-5     com.vmware.vise.vim.cm.impl.ComponentManagerServiceImpl           Retry won't be attempted for CM https://SITE.ca/cm/sdk?hostid=5a2db760-23ad-11e8-9352-005056ab1afc for error: com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.UnexpectedStatusCodeException - Unexpected status code: 503

[2018-03-19T16:03:33.436-04:00] [ERROR] cm-catalog-manager-pool-5     com.vmware.vise.vim.cm.impl.ComponentManagerServiceImpl           Error when creating component manager service: https://SITE.ca/cm/sdk?hostid=5a2db760-23ad-11e8-9352-005056ab1afc com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.common.UnexpectedStatusCodeException: Unexpected status code: 503

Yet when I manually restart the VMWare vCenter Configuration Service in Services.msc and wait 5-10 mins it works fine.

I have waited 30+ minutes (maybe the services were taking a long time to start initially on boot)....

Have a ticket open with GSS, they just took the vsphere logs and suggested I put that service on a delayed start... tried that, haven't heard back.

Anyone else experience this issue?

9 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check what was using port 80

This issue occurs because port 80 is used by the SQL Server Reporting Services.

1. Stop the SQL Server Reporting Service.

2. Start the services using service-control --start --all

3. Re-start the SQL Server Reporting Service.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have SQL Reporting Services running or installed on this box.

I am using an ODBC connection to communicate to the database that is on another server.

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check the service which are using Port 80 on the Windows vCenter server.

You could use the command netstat -an and check the service which is having a lock on the port 80

Make sure port 80 is being used by the vCenter server.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Most probably the port 80 is the cause of this issue and the netstat command will help you to detect the conflict on this port.

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like VMWare Reverse HTTP Proxy service is being used when I have vCenter working, along with when it isn't.  Could this be related to a Client Certificate? Seems like the correct services are bound to port 80.

0 Kudos
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see any error's in the vmca log's.  What's going on here

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You would have to disable few of the services on the vCenter server which is listens port 80.

Below link would help you perform the required steps on your scenario.

Vcenter 6 Services failing to start on boot |VMware Communities

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

WWW Pub Service is installed but not running, IIS is not installed, so the ONLY services that are using port 80 are the http proxy as per netstat -aon | findstr :80 and referencing the PID's that are currently bound.

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you could share the logs, I could take a look at it and provide an update.

Recommend you to log a case with VMware Support, Since this needs to be inspected the cause of the issue.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash