VMware Cloud Community
novell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

increase vDisk - LUN RAW Disk

Hi, is that the right way? I am not perfect with the webclient....

How to increase an existing RAW vDisk on a vCenter 6.5, Host are vsphere 5.5U3? I did increase (300GB) the LUN on Storage, then I did a rescan on the storageadapter on all hosts.

I can see on Datastore that the vSphere Host LUN/vDisk has more space (1.32TB)

Then I will go to shutdown the VM, edit settings go to the VM Hardware, and increase the disksize Harddisk 7 from 1TB to 1.3TB?

Is that so possible?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
novell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André,

thanks, I can only see that in RVtools the vDisk is a physical mode Disk 1TB. I want to expand this to 1.3TB. Should I shutdown the VM and resize to 1.3TB the Disk, as a normal VMFS vDisks?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

werner

EGCHVW8-0053_RAW_Disk_HD7.jpg

HD7_RAW.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The required steps depend on whether the RDM's type is physical, or virtual compatibility mode.

see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1007021

André

0 Kudos
novell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André,

thanks, I can only see that in RVtools the vDisk is a physical mode Disk 1TB. I want to expand this to 1.3TB. Should I shutdown the VM and resize to 1.3TB the Disk, as a normal VMFS vDisks?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

werner

EGCHVW8-0053_RAW_Disk_HD7.jpg

HD7_RAW.jpg

0 Kudos
novell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André,

I created for testing  a new vDisk 25GB on the Datastore and then i presented to a new testvm. In the Webclient it shows Hardisk3 25GB in Windows. I can format this physical RAW Disk without a reboot. Then on the Storage I increased the disk from 25 to 55GB. After resacan HBA I went to the Webclient VM settings. There I see on Harddisk3 25GB (not 55GB), but in Windows, in Diskmanager, after rescan it shows the new disk extent 30GB! I can extent to 55GB with no problem and that Online. But I am not happy that in the vSphere Webclient (settings) the size shows 25GB and not 55GB! thats not the right value!

vDiskRAW.jpg

RAWdisk_HD2.jpg

regards

werner

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure whether this is a refresh issue in the web client, or a bug.

The point is that the descriptor .vmdk files still contains the original number of blocks. For a physical mode RDM this is not an issue. With virtual mode RDMs it's important to recreate the .vmdk (as mentioned in the KB article), because some other features may rely on the size in the descriptor.

If a browser refresh, or restarting the vCenter web client doesn't help, you may follow the steps for the virtual mode RDM to see the new size.

André

0 Kudos