VMware Communities
JM333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion now shows 2 Virtual Machines - 1 "not found" and 1 "not genuine" - Neither Works Right

Something odd has happened to my VM install, and I don't know where to start to fix it. 

Has been installed and working for a few years now with no faults.  Now when I open the Fusion Virtual Machine Library I see two machines.

The first one says Windows 7 x64 and has no logo.  Below it says "Not Found"

The second one also says Windows 7 x64 and has a play button logo.  However, when I open that machine I get a black Windows desktop, a warning message in the bottom corner saying the copy of Windows is not genuine (it is), and the Windows installation doesn't do everything right.  Most programs work, but some path information is wrong, which causes some problems.

It seems to me that somehow the location of my Windows virtual machine was spontaneously moved.  I don't know if it was related to a Fusion update or not, nor do I know how to put it back.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Jeff M

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

-Have seen these instances, while you upgrade your Mac OS to High Siera. In High Sierra will move the Desktop and Documents to iCloud.

-So the virtual machine residing under User >Documents >Virtual machine folder is moved to iCloud >Documents >Virtual machine folder

-Once the virtual machine has moved the Fusion loses the mapping of it and gives error "its not found"

-Now coming to the 2nd issue you have. While you have started the virtual machine form the new location Fusion will ask you a question saying if you have 'Moved It' or 'Copied it'

-I believe in your case it was selected as I copied it. When you select I copied it, it changes the UUID of the virtual machine and a new UUID is been provided.

-Once the new UUID is provided Windows sees that virtual hardware as new, as per Windows EULA whenever the Windows is installed on new hardware it needs activation, or else the Windows will show you it is not genuine.

-Also, your Windows applications depending hardware or OS activation, they would not work.

Solution: Simple reactivate the Windows with the Product key you have.

Next time try choosing "I moved it"

Cheers..!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pwilk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

1. Locate the virtual machine files on your HDD (for example you can search for *.vmdk) if you're unsure of the current VMs location

2. Remove both virtual machines from Fusion (remember to uncheck the option to also delete VM files)

3. Add new VM and instead of creating a new one, import the VM files from your HDD

(alternative) 4. Instead of importing the VM, create a new one. On the disk creation page select "existing disk" option and select the already existing disk from your HDD; this way your VM will be re-created with fresh setting/log/variable files which could have caused this situation in the first place.

Cheers, Paul Wilk
0 Kudos
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

-Have seen these instances, while you upgrade your Mac OS to High Siera. In High Sierra will move the Desktop and Documents to iCloud.

-So the virtual machine residing under User >Documents >Virtual machine folder is moved to iCloud >Documents >Virtual machine folder

-Once the virtual machine has moved the Fusion loses the mapping of it and gives error "its not found"

-Now coming to the 2nd issue you have. While you have started the virtual machine form the new location Fusion will ask you a question saying if you have 'Moved It' or 'Copied it'

-I believe in your case it was selected as I copied it. When you select I copied it, it changes the UUID of the virtual machine and a new UUID is been provided.

-Once the new UUID is provided Windows sees that virtual hardware as new, as per Windows EULA whenever the Windows is installed on new hardware it needs activation, or else the Windows will show you it is not genuine.

-Also, your Windows applications depending hardware or OS activation, they would not work.

Solution: Simple reactivate the Windows with the Product key you have.

Next time try choosing "I moved it"

Cheers..!

0 Kudos
JM333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This makes a lot of sense.  I'm going to look to see how to override this iCloud nonsense for the Virtual Machine.  I have re-registered this copy of Windows. Hopefully its not too hard to put it back the way it was.

0 Kudos