VMware Cloud Community
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No more kmod-vmware-tools-vmxnet3 in VMware Tools OSP 10.2.0?

We're making a concerted effort to upgrade all our tremendously out of date OSP packages in RHEL6 to the latest release 10.2.0, which is available here:

https://packages.vmware.com/tools/releases/10.2.0/rhel6/x86_64/index.html

While we're only interested in RHEL6, I clicked around the other Linux distros for VMWare Tools OSP 10.2.0, and I noticed none of them have separate kernel modules for vmxnet3 anymore. I see this kmod-vmware-tools-vmxnet3 package exists in VMWare Tools OSP 10.1.15, which looks to be the last 10.1.x release but is missing in 10.2.0.

Does anyone know if this was just missed, or if starting in 10.2.0 VMWare isn't distributing this package anymore? I was unable to find any mention of this in the VMWare Tools 10.2.0 Release Notes either. I suppose its not a really big deal, as we will be upgrading the Linux kernel on our RHEL6 VMs as well, which should give us the latest vmxnet3 inbox module, which inherently means we'll be considering removing the kmod-vmware-tools-vmxnet3 rpm package. In the past, we installed kmod-vmware-tools-vmxnet3 to specifically address vmxnet3 module issues from the kernels that were distributed with RHEL6, but I think these are pretty much all resolved in the latest kernels.

Should we hold off on 10.2.0 and just use the latest 10.1.x in the meantime?

FWIW, I do see some mention of vmxnet3 updates in VMWare Tools 10.2.0 here, but this is specifically for Windows VMs. Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After doing a bit more research on VMWare Tools, I've changed course and will be using open-vm-tools for RHEL6, distributed via EPEL. This seems to be the preferred method. Does not look like 10.2.0 is released yet for open-vm-tools, but I'll make due with 10.1.15.

Official VMware Tools Yum Repository for RHEL 6.x and CentOS 6.x | Notes by Tom

VMware support for open-vm-tools (2073803)  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After doing a bit more research on VMWare Tools, I've changed course and will be using open-vm-tools for RHEL6, distributed via EPEL. This seems to be the preferred method. Does not look like 10.2.0 is released yet for open-vm-tools, but I'll make due with 10.1.15.

Official VMware Tools Yum Repository for RHEL 6.x and CentOS 6.x | Notes by Tom

VMware support for open-vm-tools (2073803)  

0 Kudos