VMware Cloud Community
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Content Libraries Uses

Hey All,

I am looking into the uses and functionality for content libraries in our environment. Looks like it would be slick to use it to store templates so when I need to do maintenance on a datastore one isn't lying around.  Also a place to potentially store ISOs, but currently we store those in a NFS shared folder so others not just the vmware team can get to them.  Can I make a NFS store into a content library to continue this function or would that kick that option out?

Thank you all,

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wish you were missing something, and it does make zero sense. You can put templates inside the CL, but they are stored as OVF files and not vSphere templates. This means you cannot update a template once inside that CL without basically deleting, updating it, and re-adding to the CL. That's why I called those caveats out because they can be a deal breaker in its present form.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, a Content Library can be stored on an NFS mount just fine. But some caveats of which to be aware before choosing Content Library:

• Does not support native vSphere templates
  • Files are renamed within the CL with a GUID
  • No delta synchronization of items stored in a CL
0 Kudos
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wait so..."Does not support native vSphere templates"? As in the templates I have already made could not be placed inside this vmware created feature? Please tell me I am missing something here because that makes zero sense to me.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wish you were missing something, and it does make zero sense. You can put templates inside the CL, but they are stored as OVF files and not vSphere templates. This means you cannot update a template once inside that CL without basically deleting, updating it, and re-adding to the CL. That's why I called those caveats out because they can be a deal breaker in its present form.

0 Kudos
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for saving me tons of time testing this out and then dumping it.

0 Kudos