VMware Cloud Community
DiegoRuggi
Contributor
Contributor

Delete logs from folder Cloudvm and Vdcs

good morning people, how are you?
I need a second opinion about deleting the logs in the folders located in / storage / log / vmware / vdcs and / cloudvm

If you delete the logs that I have inside these mentioned folders, will something more happen than losing the history? Will I have to restart a service after deleting the logs?
inside cloudvm I have the logs:
  cloudvm = cloudvm-ram-size.log and service-control.log
vdcs = vmware-vdcs-gc.log and cls.log

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiegoRuggi
Contributor
Contributor

I want to do this, since I have a yellow alert in the Data Service and VMware Client.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

You don't have to restart any service post removing logs. You need to restart services if only there are any changes made to config files.

Also check sso folder..there is a know issue where /storage/log gets filled up.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
VishShah
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Good Day, I believe your initial approach is the absolutely correct First thing we need to do here is to increase the overall VCSA resource depending on the Sizing of the appliance & added Hosts & VM in the cluster based on KB: Increase the vmware-dataservice-sca and vsphere-client status change from green to yellow (2144950) .

These 2 alarms [ vmware-dataservice-sca --- Data Service Health Alarm \\ vsphere-client --- vSphere-Client Health Alarm ]  has triggered condition not defined based on the percentage, please review these alarms on vCenter Server.

-----
AllocatedMB: 1112 ------------------------- Change this value to 2.5 GB
MaxMB: 2654
CurrentMB: 1784 ------------------------- Current utilized MB requested was higher than allocatedMB
Curr-RSS: 1731
-----

It is worth to delete the content from /storage/log directory if you observe these files are large in number, the idea holds to delete all these files which are in "gz" format or remove all except the latest "log" file.

This is for just for informational, if you have observed below similar messages  in web client, then its worth to increase the PermGen, else ignore\skip this step:

2016/12/20 14:03:48.29 sc query "vmware-perfcharts" RUNNING
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:03:48 | Exception in thread "tomcat-http--73" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:03:48 | at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:03:48 | at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:03:48 | at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)

INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:05:56 | Exception in thread "tomcat-http--80" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
2016/12/20 14:06:53.59 sc query "vmware-perfcharts" RUNNING
2016/12/20 14:07:25.47 sc query "vmware-perfcharts" RUNNING
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/12/20 14:07:29 | Exception in thread "tomcat-http--99" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

In vCenter 6.x Windows:-

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg  & Open the file service-layout.mfx in notepad and change the MaxPermMB.

Then restart the services to take effect.

In vCSA 6.x Appliance:-

To resolve this issue, increase the PermGen space in the C://ProgramData/VMware/vCenterServer/cfg/service-layout.mfx file.

1. Backup the vCenter Server Appliance.
  2. Take backup of  the service-layout.mfx file by running this command:

# cp /etc/vmware/service-layout.mfx /etc/vmware/service-layout.mfx.bak
  3. Stop the vSphere Web Client service by running this command.

# service-control --stop vsphere-client
  4. Open the service-layout.mfx file using a text editor.

# vi /etc/vmware/service-layout.mfx
  5. Change the MaxPermMB size from 256 to 512 for the vspherewebclientsvc row.
  6. Save the file.
  7. Remove the old java_pid*.hprof files by running this command:

# rm /var/log/vmware/vsphere-client/java_pid*.hprof
  8. Start the vSphere Web Client service by running this command:

# service-control --start vsphere-client

The server JVM has run out of PermGen space. When PermGen becomes full, the JVM can no longer function properly and must be restarted. PermGen can run out of space even if there is plenty of space in the heap. The HotSpot JVM provides options -XX:PermSize and -XX:MaxPermSize to set the initial size and maximum allowed size of the PermGen, respectively.

For more information on Java Heap and PermGen space on vSphere Web Client, see Application server fails with the error: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space (2009352).

Regards Vishwajit Shah Skyline Support Moderator VCA-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCP6.0; 6.5-DCV & CMA | VCA-DBT | VCAP60-DCV
0 Kudos