VMware Support Community
jameswalkervmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Skyline™: an innovative support technology, developed entirely by VMware Engineering, that provides VMware technical support engineers with extreme visibility into your (customer’s) environment.

Customers with active support subscriptions install the VMware Skyline Collector, a standalone appliance that automatically and securely collects product usage data such as configuration, feature, and performance data.

It then listens for changes, events and patterns and analyzes the information using a robust rules and machine learning engine. The rules engine is where an ever-growing library of support intelligence, product knowledge, and logic is stored to analyze inbound streams of product information. Check out the video and the blog to learn more!

https://www.vmware.com/support/services/skyline.html

To sign up for Skyline, get on our manage access list at the following link.

http://vmware.com/go/skyline/signup

James Walker VMware Support Moderator
5 Replies
Vikramnaidu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi James,

What are the major differences between vCenter Support Assistant and VMware Skyline. I am now ion building phase on Skyline product in my data center.

Regards,

Vikram Naidu. N

0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Vikram,

Thank you for your post.

Please find the major differences between Skyline and VMware vCenter Support assistant below.

1. Skyline is a machine learning proactive support technology whereas vCenter server support assistant is a self-service tool.

2. We are building knowledge into skyline beyond Knowledge Base articles, items such as VMware Validated Design compliance, Upgrade planning and a whole lot more, which are not available with VMware Support Assistant.

3. Skyline can be used for proactive support on NSX and the vCenter server as of now.

Note: Skyline will also allow adding endpoints like VSAN and Horizon View in the near future and eventually all VMware products.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist.

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator
Vikramnaidu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Harish For Sharing those Details. I am still  Skyline configuring phase. Till now i used for vCenter support Assistant one.

Regards,

Vikram Naidu. N

0 Kudos
HarishV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Vikram,

Thank you for your response.

Please contact us if you need any assistance in setting up Skyline appliance. We will be happy to assist you.

Have a great day!

Sincerely Harish Venkatachalam Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
fritschn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

At VMworld US 2018, we announced general availability of Skyline for all Production Support and Premier Services customers, in English. Eligible customers can download the Skyline Collector from My VMware. You can download the Skyline Collector here: Download Skyline Collector - My VMware.

Therefore, the Skyline Managed Access program is now closed. If you wish to adopt proactive support from VMware, please download and install the Skyline Collector from My VMware. Instructions for how to install and configure the Skyline Collector can be found here: VMware Docs.

Premier Services customers should notify their Support Account Manager (SAM) or Support Account Engineer (SAE) that they intend to install, or have already installed the Skyline Collector. Installing Skyline enables an enhanced level of customer support that Premier Services can provide to you, in addition to all the current benefits of Premier Services.

For help or questions related to Skyline, please Start a Discussion within the Skyline Community.

Visit the VMware Skyline homepage for more information. Thank you.

Nick Fritsch,
VMware Technical Marketing Manager
0 Kudos