VMware Communities
sherrellbc
Contributor
Contributor

Configure how many monitors are used in "Fullscreen" mode

Currently, VMware Fusion 10 provides an option to use all monitors in fullscreen mode. This can be accomplished easily by using the toolbar entries:

View > Use all displays in fullscreen

This is useful if you want dual monitor support when you have two physical monitors. However, I typically work with three monitors and only want to use two of them for my guest virtual machine. Is this possible? It seems previous versions of VMware allowed the user to explicitly set the number of monitors (i.e. virtual monitors) passed to the guest (as does Virtualbox), but the latest release seems like an "all or nothing" approach.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm afraid not. Fusion always have 2 ways to use the multiple monitors in Full Screen mode, using single display or using all displays. It does not support customized display number.

0 Kudos
sherrellbc
Contributor
Contributor

I see. This is unfortunate. Are there plans to support this feature? It seems fairly basic. I imagine the logic for going to "fullscreen with all monitors" first detects the number of physical monitors and creates a new virtual monitor for each. I can't imagine the ability to control the upper bound of this number (i.e. N-1 rather than N monitors) would be very difficult to implement.

At any rate, thanks for replying. I figured it was not possible in the current release.

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We've collected it as a feature request.

Thanks for your feedback which adds weight to this requirement.

0 Kudos