VMware Horizon Community
DavideD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Info about Horizon Add-on and vSPhere edition

Hello,

we are working on a proposal for a mixed environment vSphere + Horizon standard add-on, but I'm not sure which is the right vSphere edition to quote. I have found the following VMware FAQ

Q: Can I run Horizon Add-ons on any edition of vSphere?

A.

Customers running Horizon Add-on SKUs can run these workloads on vSphere Desktop or vSphere Enterprise

Plus Edition, but may lose some functionality if running workloads on vSphere Standard Edition

This means that I cannot use Essentials Plus kit ? And using standard license instead of Ent Plus, which functionality are lost ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Davide

Skype: davide_depaoli - Linkedin: http://it.linkedin.com/in/davidedepaoli
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if you are ONLY going to run Horizon related vm's (infra & desktops) there is no need to buy extra vSphere. But please don't run regular server infra int he same cluster as desktops.

0 Kudos
DavideD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

the customer needs to run mixed vm (server and desktop), but there is no way (and money) to build two separate environments. The hyperconverged infrastructure will consist of two Datacore nodes with 5 server VMs and about 10 desktop VMs.

I know the issues mixing two types of VMs, but there is no way to do otherwise. My question is focused on which type of "regular" vSphere license is possible to install.

The better solution (cost/performace) in this case will be Essentials Plus with Horizon Standard add-on.

Is it possible to adopt this solution, or there are any constrain ?

thank you

Davide

Skype: davide_depaoli - Linkedin: http://it.linkedin.com/in/davidedepaoli
0 Kudos
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

setting up 2-3 vm's extra only for horizon would be a bit steep for that. You could just put 10 win10 vm's on there and have the users rdp into them. I don't know enough about the licensing rules about it, best would be to ask your partner about it.

0 Kudos