VMware Communities
iste
Contributor
Contributor

"Auto capture keyboard" option like (from virtualbox)

Hi,

I just switched to Virtualbox to Vmware after having too many issue with 3D rendering option.

But there is an option that I cant find in vmware. The "Auto capture keyboard" toggle option.

If you dont know what its about, when you set this off, the virtualbox window act like a normal window. Alt-tab, media key etc are send to the host and not the guest.

There is a way to make the same thing in vmware?

Thanks for your help.

6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not exactly the same thing, but have you considered using unity?

So that your guest application(s) behaves as if it is an application directly running at the host OS.

I'm not sure if Workstation has such a feature.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
iste
Contributor
Contributor

It's far from what I am looking for, but I have indeed considered it.

Even if my guest doesn't seem to be compatible (xubuntu 18.04), I found articles to try to activate it.

But I work mainly in my VM, uses a lot of the linux environment (virtual desktops and shortcuts). This would be a big step backwards compared to Virtualbox.

So I prefer to do without it for now.

I find it really amazing that such a simple option is missing from Vmware workstation: /

Thank you for your answer

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's no unity for Linux guests anymore sadly.

VMware killed that feature in Workstation 12.x, see also my article on it here:

VMware Workstation 12 discards unity support for Linux - PlanetVM

If I get the time I'll see if I can figure what the setting is for this feature in VMware Fusion so you can try if it works in Workstation.

I'll be on the road for the next week, so not sure if I can get you an answer on short notice.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Managed to locate the settings on Fusion there it is the value of:

pref.keyboardAndMouse.profile0.enableOSShortcuts = "TRUE"

That determines if you can access your host OS shortcuts directly from within the guest.

So that would be what I would try in Workstation if I had your issue.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
iste
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, thanks a lot for your help and you time.

I have no real clue about what to do with information sadly. So I try to create some preferences.ini in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation and add it.

Doest seem to do anything.

So, i also add it in curently exisiting config.ini and settings.ini in the same folder, and still nothing Smiley Sad

The key I tryed was Alt-Tab, Media key, Ctrl+Win+Arrow keys

Did i put this conf in the wrong file ?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure, with VMware Fusion it was in the preferences file.

VMware Workstation and Fusion share a lot of settings, but it is entirely plausible that this is not one of them.

Unfortunately I won't be in the opportunity to run tests with Workstation myself for a bit.

--

Wil