VMware Cloud Community
Proudx
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore refresh interval config help

i have a Iscsi Datastore with just some templates that is not used frequently and l prefer the disks to stay parked/spinned down. Problem is every 30 minutes venter refreshes the Datastore waking up the disks and causes it to spin back up. looking at the vpxa logs on the esxi host  I can see this datastore is automatically refreshed every 30 minutes Updating time stamp and free space values.  is there a vcenter variable I can add to the vcenter server settrings that controls this 30 minute refresh interval?  i tried changing the value of the hostd config.xml refeeshinterval to zero to disable it but it appears to only control automatic refreshing from the esxi host. Vcenter vpxa still scan every 30 minutes.  How can I change or filter this datastore from getting rescanned so often?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Proudx
Contributor
Contributor

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I have never heard of such an option because you have a very specific use case which isn't really seen in live production environments, just home labs. The only thing I can recommend is (if you have it) open an SR and see if engineering has any under-the-hood switches which control this behavior.

0 Kudos
Wonlliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

couldn't you just "unmount" the datastore while not in use?

It will still be there and if you'll need it just remount it again.

www.hyper-converged.com
0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hi!

There is advanced parameter to disable automatic rescan VMware Knowledge Base

The second option is to try modiy refresh interval on host side   VMware Knowledge Base

But both options are cluster and host-wide. This will affect all connected datastores.

0 Kudos
Proudx
Contributor
Contributor

I think that vcenter parameter only applies to rescanning of hbas and not datastore refreshing?  Am I wrong could the filter stop Datastore refreshes from vcenter every 30 minutes?

i did try setting the datastorerefresh interval to 60 in the config.xml file on the esx host but vcenter still does a refresh of the Datastore every 30 minutes and this caused the local host to do an additional refresh every 60 minutes . It looks like  by default hostd local host auto refreshing is disabled so  took out the 60 minute refresh parameter.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other paramters to try.

Try to use solution from daphnissov and unmount datastore from ESXi host when you don't need to use it.

Then mount it manually when you need it.

0 Kudos