VMware Cloud Community
ccowan8
Contributor
Contributor

What is really happening when you use the reconfigure under VR from the Web Client

My co-workers and I were experimenting with reconfiguring replication, and naively concluded that it perhaps just a "stop replication", followed by "configure replication".   This does not seem to be the case.     The reason we're actually looking at this, is that we'd like to duplicate this within VRO.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you provide an example of what operation you mean in this case?

0 Kudos
ccowan8
Contributor
Contributor

In the vSphere Web Client if I go to "vSphere Replication" -> Monitor -> then select the Outgoing Replications.   I can right mouse the VM in question and select "Reconfigure ...", but we

It seems like it might be doing one or two extra tasks in the background before it completes, and we're looking for a VRO action or call that emulates this.

0 Kudos
vilinski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I guess it does different things, depending on the configuration change. Can you share what would you like to achieve?

0 Kudos
ccowan8
Contributor
Contributor

From the limited amount of testing we've been able to do with the VR Plugin, there is an example configure workflow, "Configure Replication".  It works fine the first time, but will not allow you to "reconfigure aka. modify" an existing replication.   (From some other blogs, I'm starting to think this might not be supported).

So, basically, I'm trying to implement reconfigure as a VRO script.  I want to cover the "add a disk to an existing replicated VM" use case.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you go to that option and click on "Reconfigure Replication", you should be prompted with this window which presents all the settings for that replication you previously saved allowing you to change anything in that schedule.

pastedImage_0.png

If you *aren't* getting this window, there may be an issue with your plug-in.

0 Kudos
vilinski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, I don't think reconfigure is supported.  You could still stop and configure anain ...

0 Kudos
ccowan8
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.   We did tried a stop, followed by a configure.    There were cleanup issues resulting from this method, that that didn't exist when we used reconfigure, which is why we latched on to it.

I ran across a blog post that was addressing this but lost the link, looking for it now.  (The blog seemed to be indicating that the SRM plugin didn't support this).

Give the state of the documentation and plugins, I often feel as though I'm drinking from the Firehose with VRO.

0 Kudos
vilinski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What are the clean up issues you encountered?

0 Kudos
ccowan8
Contributor
Contributor

Old replicas left behind in the Datastore on the remote end.

0 Kudos