VMware Communities
Chuck6478
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I delete an entry in Fusion's library when the file is missing

Because of a disk crash and subsequent rebuild I am missing the file for one of my virtual machines.

1) When I try to delete the library entry I'm informed the file can't be found. Oddly, I am not prompted to remove the entry as I have been with others.

2) I haven't found any way to identify the correct file (so I could spoof it perhaps)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keywords:

OSX 10.13.3

Fusion 8.5.10

Virtual Machine Library

Cannot enumerate VM files

Could not find the file

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For fun I just tried to reproduce and it turns out this happens for example when your .vmx file is missing.

To fix it, use the following steps:

In the library, right click -> Show in Finder

Then on the VM bundle, right click -> Show Package contents

This opens the VM bundle/folder and you'll see the files that make up your VM.

Delete that whole bundle in Finder.

Now quit Fusion and restart it.. the VM will still show up in that spot, but as broken, but AFAIK you are now able to remove it.

You cannot just spoof the missing .vmx as it expects to be able to parse it and be able to determine where all virtual disk files live.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For fun I just tried to reproduce and it turns out this happens for example when your .vmx file is missing.

To fix it, use the following steps:

In the library, right click -> Show in Finder

Then on the VM bundle, right click -> Show Package contents

This opens the VM bundle/folder and you'll see the files that make up your VM.

Delete that whole bundle in Finder.

Now quit Fusion and restart it.. the VM will still show up in that spot, but as broken, but AFAIK you are now able to remove it.

You cannot just spoof the missing .vmx as it expects to be able to parse it and be able to determine where all virtual disk files live.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Chuck6478
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually all of my files were gone, not just the *.vmx. Shutting Fusion down and restarting it did resolve the issue however. After doing that I was able to delete the entry.

Thank you for the direction.

0 Kudos