VMware Communities
njb1966
Contributor
Contributor

Need VM on host to allow telnet connections to it and then pass that connection to a COM1 port

Need VM on host to allow telnet connections to it and then pass that connection to a COM1 port.

Basically I am trying to setup an old school BBS in a VM. The original BBS software packages were on DOS and connected by a modem to a serial port. I want to replicate this in a VM but have the ability for someone to telnet to the IP of VM which would then convert into the serial port.

Any suggestions?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Any reason you can't do this in a DOS VM?  You will need to add the TCP library/drivers, but there are tutorials out there on the web.

0 Kudos
njb1966
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I didnt state my case clearly.

I can load TCP/IP drivers all day long on a DOS VM, however, the software is not made to connect via the TCP/IP stack, it is looking for something on COM1 that was enabled on the VM. The caller to the BBS enacts a telnet session via a terminal program, that connection hits my host, which in turn port forwards it to the VM. Once at the VM I need that telnet session to convert to a serial connection via VMware or any other means so that the BBS thinks the telnet session is actually a modem calling in.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

As long as your PC has a serial port which can connect to the VM, it won't matter what COM port it is assigned to on the host - assign it as COM1 to the VM.  I don't understand why you think this wouldn't work.  I have several DOS VMs which I use daily to run 16-bit compilers, etc, and connect to a Solaris Server using PC-NFS.  There are really very few limits with virtualization.

Edit:  OK, re-reading your post, I see that you're trying to translate an incoming Telnet session over an Ethernet network on your host to a serial port in the guest.  That I'm sure will require some additional software on the host to either write some sort of translation utility, or use a virtual serial port driver, or similar efforts.

0 Kudos