VMware Cloud Community
Ryan701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vROPS 6.6 Storage Metric

Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out a way that I can have an alert created that would flag anytime my storage auto expanded. I am using Blue Medora NetApp pluggin so I am able to pull logs from my storage but I am not seeing anything in it nor anything built in that would monitor the delta in the capacity of a datastore.

Has anyone created either a super metric or know of something that I am missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think that capturing a log event like daphnissov suggested is the way to go, but another option might be to use a dynamic threshold.  The Total Capacity metric for the datastore should be static except when the storage expands, so if it is above threshold I think it's a safe bet the datastore was expanded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You might be able to do this by sending alerts from Log Insight (based on queries from NetApp or vSphere logs) over to vROps and correlate that to some object.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think that capturing a log event like daphnissov suggested is the way to go, but another option might be to use a dynamic threshold.  The Total Capacity metric for the datastore should be static except when the storage expands, so if it is above threshold I think it's a safe bet the datastore was expanded.

0 Kudos
Ryan701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks @daphnissov for that idea, I wish I was able to have Log Insight in my environment but at the current time it is not available to me.

0 Kudos
Ryan701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

dtaliafe​ thanks for the additional idea with the Total Capacity metric. I am going to try to work with this sense I don't have Log Insight in my environment.

0 Kudos