VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

independent-persistent and non-persistent

Dear all

Hi

i have read many documents about independent virtual disks persistent and non persistent

i could understand following :

1- in independent-persistent : we can not get backup from virtual machine , while we create snapshot in vmware it will be create and will show in snapshot manager but will not work

2- independent non-persistent : we can not get backup from virtual machine and such as above while we create snapshot in vmware it will be create and will show in snapshot manager but will not work

but in all documents about independent non-persistent said all of your changes on disk after restart or power-off vm will not show but i create a txt file in this mode on desktop and restart my vm after it boot i could see that txt file on desktop

why ?

what is the problem ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Independent disks are excluded from snapshots, that's correct.

For non-persistent virtual disks, the Hypervisor will create a snasphot disk once you power on the VM, and save all the changes to this snapshot. Once you power off the VM, the snapshot will be discarded, i.e. changes to that disk will be lost.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks independent-non persistent mode will be discard changes on disk after power.off vms but in most of documents mention also will be do in restart vm it is not correct ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's Power off, and Reset (i.e. not a reboot/restart) which will discard the changes.

Do you have an example of a document which contains different information?

André

0 Kudos