VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Disable Sync on Logoff?

For about 98% of our use case, we are utilizing our VDI in a kiosk mode. Essentially the users all get the same type of desktop from a linked clone floating pool. We push down the same icons, the same background, the same look and feel, the same locked down desktop, etc. One thing we were wondering about is, since we don't care about any changes/customization the users make to these kiosks (which they really can't do anyway), is there a way to disable the UEM logoff sync for these guys?

As I said, we really don't care about them in these cases. What had us start wondering about this, is we HAVE run into sporadic issues where the logoff sync will get hung up, and, by the time the thin client for a user reboots and autologs in, Horizon seems to get confused, think the user is still ON that logging off desktop, tries to give it to them, and errors out. Sometimes it can't be fixed until we find that desktop and do a manual reset so that the logoff sync just fails.

Looked through the documentation and didn't really see something that matched what we're trying to do. We're on UEM 9.2.1 currently.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi epa80,

Most certainly! If there's no need to save the users' personal settings and you're using non-persistent VDI, you can skip running the UEM agent at logoff – just don't configure the logoff script that runs FlexEngine.exe -s.

For persistent scenarios there might be some additional considerations, but I'll wait with those until I know whether they're relevant for you 🙂

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the reply. We're applying UEM via GPO to our VDI desktops, to our workstations OU, with a security filter of Authenticated Users. So it's a one shot hits all. As I said today we're really by and large kiosk/non persistent experiences, with plans to eventually support persistent desktops as well. I guess we're going to have to figure out a way to break that out. I guess we could just make a copy of this existing GPO, remove the -s logoff script from it, and call that UEM Non Persistent.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi epa80​,

OK, if your GPO setup makes it hard to differentiate between the different scenarios, maybe you can use UEM conditions.

For Flex config files that are processed at logon and logoff (i.e. the ones you're interested in for this), there are two dropdowns at the bottom of the conditions dialog that control what should happen in case the conditions match and in case they do not match.

The default is to process the file for import and export when the conditions match, and to do nothing otherwise:

pastedImage_2.png

Depending on how you're currently using conditions for your Flex config files, it might be possible to change this to:

pastedImage_1.png

Based on some condition that distinguishes between the "save user settings" and "skip saving user settings" scenarios, that could effectively achieve what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry but can you elaborate on exactly what screen you're looking at there? I'm not following where that's at.

Edit: nevermind, looks like we found it. Exploring it some.

system32AUT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos