VMware Cloud Community
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot Assign License

Just loaded up a vCenter 6.5 appliance and moved my three hosts over from a Windows Server vCenter 5.5 host.

Up upgraded my Essentials license at myvmware to 6.5. I added that license in vCenter. However, when I go to assign it to my vCenter Server, only the eval license is listed.

The three hosts say they are using "vSphere 5 Essentials" license that I assume came over with the hosts.

What am I missing here? Why can I not see my new 6.5 license when trying to assign to my vCenter?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, those are both Essentials licenses for ESXi hosts. The vCenter license is a separate key.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you see the license key in your inventory? Take a screenshot if you can, but be sure to remove the license key itself.

0 Kudos
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it shows in the inventory...

vmware1.PNG

0 Kudos
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should add, I have not upgraded the three hosts yet, they are still running 5.5. SO I guess it is just the vCenter server that I need to get the license assigned to.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Those are licenses for the ESXi hosts. You need a vCenter Essentials license to license your vCenter.

0 Kudos
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right. Isn't that what I showed that I have installed in the screenshot?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, those are both Essentials licenses for ESXi hosts. The vCenter license is a separate key.

0 Kudos
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh. Where do I find the vCenter license key? I have not found it so far in myvmware.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're not seeing it in your MyVMware portal you may need to raise a licensing SR to see if they can locate it.

0 Kudos
craigmash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found it. Got it installed.

Thank you!

0 Kudos