VMware Communities
skygremlin2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Library, move Shared VM to Virtual Machine Section

I created a VM and after the fact noticed it's in the Shared Section of the VM Library.  How can I move it to the Virtual Machine section?  I have a number of different sites I setup and config for my Lab environment and really want to keep everything organized..

I'm using an older version of VMware Fusion - 6.0.4(1887983)

thanx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no checkbox or choice. I tried to explain it in my initial reply, but apparently I was not clear enough.

It depends on the folder and file permissions your VM has. Let me clarify that.

If the VM is _only_ readable (and writable) by you then it is a normal VM

If the VM can be read and written to by other users on your host macOS then your VM is shared, _even_ when there is only one user.

So if you query in the terminal for this via ls -alh

You can see this in Finder, select the VM and control+click then select "Get Info" then near the bottom there's "Sharing and permissions".

If you open that you can see who can read/write to the VM.

If it only has you as read/write then it is a normal VM.

If everybody can read/write to that VM it is considered shared.

Oh and the drag and drop might not work in older versions of Fusion I only know it works in later versions.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware Fusion determines on file access permissions if a VM is available for the current user or for more than the current user (eg. it is possible to share the VM with other users)

That hopefully answers the "why" question.

As for moving a Shared VM to the normal Virtual Machine section, have you tried drag and drop?

Not sure if that was already supported in Fusion 6, but I think it was, it certainly is in later versions of Fusion.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
skygremlin2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx - yeah I tried to move it to the Virtual Machines section and it won't let me.. 

My confusion comes in, and let me maybe rephrase my question, I'm not sure why these new VM's are put under the Shared VM section.  I have made anywhere from 50+ VM's for labs (making -> config -> delete and recreate)  All of my previous VM's are in organized folders in that VM section.  Not sure what I'm doing different now, or whats different that the these new ones are in this other "section" of the VM library.

So maybe I can rephrase my question better to..

When creating a new VM, what determines that the VM is placed in the "Shared VM" or "Virtual Machine" section of the library?  Is there a checkbox or config item I need to check or not check during the creation process?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no checkbox or choice. I tried to explain it in my initial reply, but apparently I was not clear enough.

It depends on the folder and file permissions your VM has. Let me clarify that.

If the VM is _only_ readable (and writable) by you then it is a normal VM

If the VM can be read and written to by other users on your host macOS then your VM is shared, _even_ when there is only one user.

So if you query in the terminal for this via ls -alh

You can see this in Finder, select the VM and control+click then select "Get Info" then near the bottom there's "Sharing and permissions".

If you open that you can see who can read/write to the VM.

If it only has you as read/write then it is a normal VM.

If everybody can read/write to that VM it is considered shared.

Oh and the drag and drop might not work in older versions of Fusion I only know it works in later versions.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
skygremlin2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ahhh...  yeah that was it..  These are subfolders of one central location.  The main and all "other" subfolders had everyone set to Read only...  But looks like when I created this one (however I did it) it had Everyone as Read/Write// 

Stopped the VM's -> removed them from the library -> updated the Security and re-added them to the library and now they are all in the Virtual Machines sections..

Thank you for the follow up ..

ak

0 Kudos