VMware Communities
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ubuntu guests sound doesn't work in Windows 7 host. Looking for alternate workarounds.

I have an issue described here and here where sound doesn't work in Ubuntu guests on a Windows host:

A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system.

Sound will be disconnected.

The "solution" is to install Realtek drivers (I have a Realtek sound card) but I had trouble with those drivers which is why I uninstalled them and have the default MS drivers, and so I have no "stereo mix" option.

Is there any way that I can get sound in my Ubuntu 16 LTS and 18 LTS guests without installing the Realtek drivers? I'm thinking it must be possible because other guests work fine and I get sound.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think this is caused by a bad interaction between the implementation of the Pulse Audio sound system in some Linux distributions and VMware Workstation.

What I have often found to work with Linux VMs that exhibit this behaviour is to install pavucontrol in the Linux VM. (For Ubuntu and Ubuntu based installations run apt install pavucontrol from a terminal prompt.)

Once installed run pavucontrol and select Analogue Stereo Output on the Configuration tab.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is he audio working on the host machine? If yes, then it could be a driver issue on the guest

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think this is caused by a bad interaction between the implementation of the Pulse Audio sound system in some Linux distributions and VMware Workstation.

What I have often found to work with Linux VMs that exhibit this behaviour is to install pavucontrol in the Linux VM. (For Ubuntu and Ubuntu based installations run apt install pavucontrol from a terminal prompt.)

Once installed run pavucontrol and select Analogue Stereo Output on the Configuration tab.

Hope this helps.

quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It works! Thanks. Do you know why echo $'\a' doesn't work (pc beep) or do you think that is unrelated?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Isn't 0xa represent line feed? Bell/beep ASCII value should be 7.

Anyway, it looks like bell/beep in VMware VMs is no longer supported in Workstation 12.x and later. You can look at this thread Passthrough internal beep speaker

0 Kudos
SmartGeek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos