VMware Cloud Community
levirogers
Contributor
Contributor

GPU and Windows RDSH running on ESXi/vSphere

I am trying to get a definitive answer on this.  I have read tons of forum posts and articles and they seem to be all over the place. 

If I add GPUs into our ESXi 6.5 hosts and than install a Server 2016 Remote Desktop Session Host onto those hosts with a GPU shared with them will I see performance benefits for remote users connecting to the RDSH using RDP?

We are currently upgrading our infrastructure and I really want to clear this up before we purchase any hardware.  Currently we see issues with Video and some redrawing issues, some I can attribute to network latency but it also seems as if some of the graphics were processed on the host it would help.

Thoughts?  I can add more detail if needed.

Thanks Again to anyone who can help.

**Not a newb but that was the only appropriate group I could find.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I suspect the RDP protocol won't really help.  VMWare and NVIDIA have really sewn up the VDI design and there are quite a few considerations e.g. vibs/licensing

What kind of client access device? Zero/Thin/Fat?

Are you intending top use vMware Horizon? If so you might want to consider NVIDIA vGPU technology and use PCoIP or Blast protocol.  Lots of licensing/infrastructure requirements but its doable.

0 Kudos