VMware Communities
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have I just come across an amazing new use for Fusion with the new Macbook Pro?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3187505

The new MBPs have a trackpad which is numerous times as large as any earlier one. It is almost impossible now to avoid hitting the trackpad continuously while typing!  This self-evidently sends the cursor all over the page while typing. Rendering typing jibberish.

This problem was noted first in 2011-3, when apparently there was some sort of disable trackpad while typing feature. If it existed, it appears to have been deleted.

I have a case open with Apple now on this and they tell me that this feature doesn’t exist in OSX and that there is no workaround.

Can I implement it in Windows 7 in Fusion please? Either natively or by loading a utility or driver for the trackpad, which obviously works in Windows 7 (or is this fusion tools which is operating my trackpad while I am in a VM?)

If it can be, it seems lots of people would buy Fusion to use it!

2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hit this problem regularly and it drives me crazy. I've had to change my typing style which is really annoying for a touch-typist of almost 30 years.

Add to that I've been playing a lot of guitar lately and my fingers can almost not feel the dang keys anymore because everything is such a low profile.

As for this issue, Apple actually tries to 'disable trackpad while typing' or rather 'detect erroneous taps' (like those from your palm or wrist), and there are conditions where it doesn't work and suddenly you're typing in some window you just accidentally clicked into.

So, can we solve this problem with Fusion?

100% absolutely unequivocally we can not, nor should we.

We don't expose the trackpad to the Guest directly, we emulate a 'normal' mouse and then do some translation. This is way before Tools even comes into the mix, we're doing this at the virtual hardware level. The host cursor is the 'cursor of record' so we listen to whatever it does because it's a real, physical device.

How could we possibly decide when to ignore that input when we're talking about virtualization?

One main reason people use Fusion is to build and test applications. If we introduce a layer in-between the mouse and your app, it might yield results that you wouldn't see when working with things 'normally', which defeats the whole point of virtualization.

It's easy to say 'well just ignore mouse input when I'm typing' but that's not normal computer behavior, and our ability to duplicate 'normal' computer behavior in a VM is the entire reason we exist.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might have missed my point a bit. I was only suggesting that:

If apple are saying that a fix is just around the corner, (and especially if it obviously isnt); and if so many MBP users cant use their computers for anything that involves word processing; There may be a solution in using windows for all such functions IF there is a driver out there that has the 'ignore palm hits while typing' functionality [that even such lowly companies as Dell had as long ago as 2002: I had this very problem then and Dell's tech support team fixed it by showing me the box to check]

The uproar alone might stimulate Apple into finding a solution?

0 Kudos