VMware Cloud Community
kbuska79
Contributor
Contributor

LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i with ESXi 6.5U1 - No longer boots

I did the following and now my single ESXi instance no longer completes booting. Hangs at loading module megaraid_sas. If I remove the SAS card, it will boot fine.

I updated from 6.5 to the latest 6.5U1 (4887370)

Rebooted and it loaded fine

Installed the latest vib in order to use MegaRAID Storage Manager within a VM (megaraid_sas-6.604.54.00-1948917)

Rebooted and it loaded fine

Installed the latest firmware from broadcom (20.13.1-0240_iMR_2008_SAS_FW_2.130.404-4659)

Rebooted and it stopped loading...

Installed several versions of the 9240_8i firmware including the firmware from the CD with no joy

The logs don't indicate a problem from what I can tell. I have attached a few pictures from the logs.

I have also tried installing a new install of ESXi with no joy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2 Replies
kbuska79
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also looking for steps forward to trying to resolve the problem, I'm not for just the resolution. I'm not an expert on ESXi and I don't know all the troubleshooting tools to isolate problems and move to a path of resolution. As you can tell, I have been trying to use the process of elimination to try to resolve the problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
saikumarv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Some where on the same communitylinks, it was referred ESXi does not support RAID configuration to detect;

Please search for the same, it might give good idea;

otherwise, please check comtapbility list with ESXi hypervisor supported megaraid controller arrays or configuration first;

0 Kudos