VMware Communities
ednl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Always start up with same screen size? (Debian guest)

I want my Debian vm to always start up in a window with a screen resolution of 1920x1080 but it defaults to 800x600 after every reboot. Is there a way to fix the screen to a certain size across reboots/restarts? I don't see anything in "Hardware Settings" where I'd expect to find a virtual screen size. Changing the size via the menu View > Resize Virtual Machine > 1920x1080 works fine but it's tedious to have to do that every time.

I guess now Fusion goes: I'll just give the guest any resolution they request!!, and the guest goes: I'll just adapt to whatever monitor is connected!!, and somewhere a default of 800x600 kicks in.

This isn't me but it seems to be the exact same problem, suggesting a fix through the guest is hard or impossible: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/75ktmv/default_screen_resolution_in_stretch_9/

Fusion 10.1.1, host macOS 10.13.3, guest Raspbian Desktop (= Debian 9), open-vm-tools installed from the default Debian repository

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ednl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution came from the Raspberry Pi forum where someone pointed out to me that the Display Setting menu entry is hidden by default in the "Raspberry Pi for Desktop" distribution of Debian 9 Stretch. So it really was incredible simple, but I would never have thought of it: enable Display Setting via the Main Menu Editor, set the desired resolution and that's it, it persists across reboots.

My guess is it's hidden as a left-over from their main distro Raspbian on Raspberry Pi (yeah they're not so good with clear, unambiguous names) where the Debian GUI doesn't make sense because the display settings are kept in /boot/config.txt and need a reboot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ednl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution came from the Raspberry Pi forum where someone pointed out to me that the Display Setting menu entry is hidden by default in the "Raspberry Pi for Desktop" distribution of Debian 9 Stretch. So it really was incredible simple, but I would never have thought of it: enable Display Setting via the Main Menu Editor, set the desired resolution and that's it, it persists across reboots.

My guess is it's hidden as a left-over from their main distro Raspbian on Raspberry Pi (yeah they're not so good with clear, unambiguous names) where the Debian GUI doesn't make sense because the display settings are kept in /boot/config.txt and need a reboot.

0 Kudos