VMware Cloud Community
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor

vROPS Dashboard for Monitoring vCD Linked Clones/ Shadow vms

Just wondering if anyone has done up a vCD dashboard with emphasis tracking information on linked clones.

I think this would be useful to track the storage savings of linked clones and make it easier to track the relationships.

Ideally this would track a template through all connected clones with information relating to storage used and any potential shadows when different storage is used.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone??

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Have you tried the vCD Management pack?

If that does not have it i am not sure what will

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I took a look but not exactly what I need - mainly is just focusing on general vCD info there is no real emphasis on linked clones. I think it would be useful for both vCD and Horizon View, if for nothing else to show the savings that can be had by leveraging linked clones. We have seen this as an excellent feature and saves us a lot of storage space. However they are difficult to manage and report on - frequently VCD fails to cleanup leaving shadow clones etc - meaning it has to be monitored closely - that being said maybe it is better on vCD 9 we have not tried this yet.  A dashboard of it would make vCD and Horizon admins lives a lot handier.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The only thing I've seen related to this is the snapshot size and chain length on the vCloud Virtual Machine in the vCD management pack.  There are also out of box alerts for the VM snapshot chain length, although that's not really what you're looking for.  I haven't found anything to show space savings or a relationship between linked clones and I have to agree you have a great idea for a dashboard there.  At the Provider VDC I think you can compare Allocation(MB) vs. Used(MB), but this probably includes space saved from both thin provisioning and linked clones.

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah from a VMware perspective this would be a great dashboard for showing how good the product is at saving space and take some of the fear from using linked clones due to lack of knowledge and statistics on them out of the equation - I don't have the knowledge myself of creating these dashboards would be great if someone with vCD and vROPS Dashboards could add something here - would be a real success story for VMware

0 Kudos