VMware Communities
NoNameNeededAGA
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation on Windows 7...

I wonder if there is any version of VMWare Workstation (or VMWare Player) that isn't completely useless on Windows 7.

I've been using VMWare Player (7) for years on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 without any problems.

However, on Windows 7 it only worked for a day or two or so until it started throwing cryptical errors about a peer process that it cannot connect to or something.

Of course, there are a lot of questions and answers online (that didn't help in my case) so it seems to be VMWare's way to say "we don't know what happened except that something went wrong"

So I thought, well, Vmware 7 is quite old so I'll try the most recent version.

It worked again for about a day until I ran into the same problems again.

Then I tried version 12 which worked fine for two days and now guess what happened!
Yes, it throws cryptic error messages again but the difference is that I can now choose between "Internal error" and the good old "peer process" nonsense error.

In hindsight, VMware 7 was actually still the best since it's faster and it let me open at least SOME of my virtual machines, the newer versions are more restrictive, no virtual machine works.

So, VMWare on Windows 7 is now as bad as VirtualBox (or even worse) and that says a lot.

P.S: Yes, I've tried all these usually recommended solutions like starting VMWare as and administrator or restarting the VMWare Authorization service a thousand times but nothing works.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NoNameNeededAGA
Contributor
Contributor

P.S. Maybe I wasn't totally clear about the problems.

These problems occur whenever I try to open/run a virtual machine, the host application (VMWare) opens flawlessly.

Now I've installed VMWare 7 once again, because this version lets me use at least some of my virtual machines.

But the strange thing is that I know for a fact that all my virtual machines are ok, since they all work just fine on the very same computer in the same version of VMware, only on a different partition with Windows Server 2003 instead of Windows 7 as the host operating system.

And they also worked when I first installed VMWare 7 on Windows 7. They all worked fine for a day or two (and still do on the other partition)

So it seems to be a problem with Windows 7 (or also newer 64Bit version of Windows? I don't know...) and many versions of VMware.

0 Kudos