VMware Horizon Community
jfree98
Contributor
Contributor

File system specific implementation LookupAndOpen[file] failed/Horizon 7

I recently upgraded my ESXi hosts to 6.5. I am using horizon 7 with a linked clone desktop pool. I recently went to update my Gold Image and create a snapshot when I noticed in the View Administrator console I get the following error message "File system specific implementation LookupAndOpen[file] failed" for my linked clone desktop pool.

This error message is preventing me from doing a recompose or provisioning new VM's.

7 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For the disk lock issue, please refe the kb https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/50372

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
mindert
Contributor
Contributor

The solution worked well for me. Thanks!!

But I have tot do this every time the server restarts.

Whats the problem with such a file?

0 Kudos
bhwong7
Contributor
Contributor

What's the solution? The link shows no resolution.

0 Kudos
cweiss2
Contributor
Contributor

Removing (not deleting) and then re-adding the existing disk worked for me

0 Kudos
Pumpkinh
Contributor
Contributor

Re-adding disk not take effect.

Solution described on https://www.nico-maas.de/?p=1923 worked for me.

0 Kudos
karthikt2
Contributor
Contributor

Even we faced this issue on few Virtual Machines in our newly upgraded 6.5 vCenter & ESXi hosts. Called up VMware support and they suggested to find and reboot the host that holds the lock. but considering the criticality of the environment, it is not feasible to reboot the host. Hence I performed some steps to find a alternate solution to release the VM lock without rebooting hosts.

Perform following steps:-

1. Note down the VM datastore path
  2. SSH the host on which the VM is currently sitting and find the host which has created lock
  3. SSH to the host on which is locked, run below command to kill the hung task
    1. esxcli vm process list (find the VM and note its WorldNumber)
    2. esxcli vm process kill -t [soft,hard,force] -w WorldNumber
  4. At this stage go to vSphere webclient and note that VM goes into Orphaned stage.
    1. Right click and remove VM from inventory
  5. SSH to the host on which VM file lock was created
    1. Register the VM using cli - vim-cmd solo/registervm /vmfs/volumes/datastore_name/VM_directory/VM_name.vmx(notedown the vmid)
    2. Power on the VM using cli - vim-cmd vmsvc/power.on <vmid>
    3. Login to vSphere client and search for the VM à go to Summary à Answer the Virtual Machine Message – ‘I Copied it’

VM gets powered ON

let me know if this solution helps.

0 Kudos
JohnnyTurbo
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed the new cloned VM is trying to use the hard drive of the old VM.  I had to remove that drive and locate the cloned drive.  Once I mounted the new cloned drive, it booted fine.

0 Kudos