VMware Cloud Community
mcgrabowski
Contributor
Contributor

VMRC for Chrome OS?

Does anyone know if a VMware VMRC plugin is in the works for Chrome OS? Or if not, is there technically any reason it couldn't be built? Would it potentially be possible to build an open source client for Chrome OS? I've been searching around and can't seem to find anything regarding this. I keep seeing info pop up about VMware Horizon, but I'm not entirely clear what that is yet and why I'd want to spend more money on my VMware licensing when all I'd really like to have at this point is VMRC on Chrome OS.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does the current in-browser JavaScript/HTML5 Web Console work in the Chrome OS browser?

On Win/Linux/Mac, moving from the Web Console to the existing native VMRC you gain the ability to mount USB devices, smart cards, local files, plus better international keyboard support.

Assuming Chrome OS plugin APIs give suitable access to devices and the file system there's no technical reason it couldn't be built AFAICS.

0 Kudos
mcgrabowski
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the in browser console works. My biggest issue with using that is it is not very feature rich as you mention and you lose a lot of an already small screen without being able to truly go full screen with it. You still have that header bar and shrunken width to get everything to display.

Well, maybe if/as time permits, I'll start trying to noodle on kicking off an open source project to potentially build a chrome extension for VMRC... although that could be a while.

0 Kudos