VMware Communities
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem playing back dual machine with Win 7 and Xp (STOP: 0x0000007B (0xba4cb524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000))

I used  VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to convert a physical machine with dual boot (win 7 on C: , Win Xp on D) to a virtual one.

I logged in the Win 7 and converted the machine. Playing  this  in VMware Workstation 12 Player, i will have two options either to login to the  win 7   or the XP. The Win 7 will work perfectly. When I chose the Win xp , the Win xp booting start showing the logo and then few seconds later I get the blue screen of death with error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xba4cb524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Can you help with this please? any thing I need to change in the .vmx file to get it work for xp as it does for win 7?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved..! The solution turned to be  simpler than i thought !..i just made a copy of VM , copied the vmx i generated with the converter installed in winxp, edited the .vmx to suit and reconfigured the machine and now XP is working fine!.

Many thanks for your input. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi
Let me explain your problem:
To import a dualboot physical VM you must reconfigure drivers and registry.
Unfortunately you typically want to use a VM with LSI-logic SCSI-controller for Windows7 and a BUSLOGIC/VMware SCSI-controller for XP.
You now need to make up your mind if you want:
A: two separate VMs both optimized for their different guest operationg system.
     Result: one Win7-VM and one XP-VM

B: create one Dualboot-VM.
     This is not as easy as it may seem - and I would need to know more about the original hardware and would need to see your current vmx-file.
I would recommend option A as it is more useful. B is only good for studying dualboot-howto.
Please decide what you want - then I can give you detailed instructions.
Ulli

hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi and thank you for taking this further.

Ideally  i would like to have single if its possible with less hassle..but if it is two much effort i would have to go for  two separate VMs both optimized for their different guest operating system..

i have no problem with the win 7 and it is working perfectly.

I need to get the XP working.

Many thanks in advance

Hisham

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please attach the vmx-file to your next reply.

0 Kudos
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the vmx file

0 Kudos
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

please note the previous vmx file was obtained when ised vcentre converter installed in win xp..the vm does not boot with error  \nst\ntldr status 0xc0000225

0 Kudos
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and here is the vmx obtained for the win 7 (with xp as dual boot..with blue screen of death)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not run the XP with the win7 vmx because it uses a scsi-controller that is not  available for XP.
You can not run the Win7 with the xp vmx because it uses the vmscsi-controller which is not available for Win 7.
Actually there is no good way at all to create a vmx-file that fits for both a 32bit guest and a 64bit guest.
I really recommend to create a copy of the VM and modify it for XP.
The boot problem can be fixed for the XP by booting from a boot-floppy.
For the record: it would be possible to create  a VM that uses an IDE-disk that would suit both XP and Win7-64 but that would be a tricky completely manual process and requires a lot of manual registry patching.

0 Kudos
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

got few questions

1-can i copy the  current vm (which has dual boot but only work for win 7) and modify the relevant vmx file and reconfigure  , so that it works only for XP?

2-do i have to create a new one from scratch?

3- i have vcentre converter installed on both OS, so if i want to create  win xp vm machine, do i have to log in xp and run the vcentre converter or i can use the one in Win  7?

if the answer to (1 ) iis yes, could you please help me with modifying the vmx file so i can get the win xp working? see attached

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not use Converter to patch the XP - that is something that has to be done manually.
I can do that for you - if you call me via skype we can arrange something.
To prepare this power off the VM and copy the full directory of the existing VM to a new location.
You may try to boot that VM with the vmx-file for the XP using this floppy image:
http://sanbarrow.com/files/boot2003.flp
But I doubt it will already work.

0 Kudos
hishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved..! The solution turned to be  simpler than i thought !..i just made a copy of VM , copied the vmx i generated with the converter installed in winxp, edited the .vmx to suit and reconfigured the machine and now XP is working fine!.

Many thanks for your input. 

0 Kudos