VMware Horizon Community
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 1709 Calculator

Has anyone experienced the "new" Windows Calculator not showing up when running UEM 9.3?  Calculator is there upon first new user login but after that first login is gone.  I suspect that UEM is not capturing some sort of app data associated with it but I don't know what.

Thanks.

El Jefe

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here are the steps and the configuration I use for saving FTA's. This supports user chosen FTA's, FTA's from the settings menu (control panel) and FTA's configured by UEM (using run once).

For the following steps I (as an example) assume you have both SetUserFTA.exe and GetUserFTA.exe in \\server\share.

Go to the User Environment tab and...

- Create a Logon Task

pastedImage_1.png

Configure the settings as provided in the picture.

The command line is:

\\server\share\SetUserFTA.exe "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

- Create a Logoff Task

pastedImage_3.png

The command line is:

cmd.exe /c \\server\share\GetUserFTA.exe > "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

Go to the Personalization tab and...

- Create a new Config File containing

[IncludeRegistryTrees] 

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts 

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\Software\Classes

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Software

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config

This should do the trick. Please let me know if this works in your environment.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com

View solution in original post

19 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you mean the shortcut in the start menu, no I don't experience that behaviour. I'm on the same UEM version (9.3) and pooled Win 10 1709 desktops using instant clones. I am using local profiles.

Are you using instant clones? What type of profile are you using (mandatory or local)? Are you roaming the start menu using UEM?

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pooled (Composer Linked Clones) desktops.  Can't even search for "Calculator", comes up with nothing.  Using local UEM profiles.  Roaming start menu (everything else is fine).

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ElJefe61,

Are you using the UEM setting Remove local profile at logoff? There's an issue in Windows 10, where Windows does remove the user's profile, but leaves some user-specific information behind in HKLM, which breaks somethings at the next logon of that user (Windows App Dissapear after logoff (w10 1703) has more details).

0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have found the culprit causing my issue but don't know how to resolve it.  I am using a "Default Apps and FTAs" config file to allow default app settings to be changed, saved and roam in my linked clone environment (see below).  When I disable it, the Calculator App shows up.  With it on, no Calculator.  Any ideas?

[IncludeRegistryTrees] 

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ElJefe61,

The Default Apps and FTAs config file included in the EasyStart does not include that ApplicationAssociationToasts tree or UserSignedIn value. As a test, could you try without those two?

Hey ijdemes​, Googling for ApplicationAssociationToasts leads me to Re: Windows 10 Default Apps ... 🙂  Do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I agree with you UEMdev​. ElJefe61​, please try without ApplicationAssociationToasts and UserSignedIn. These are based on old information/knowledge. A better way of dealing with FTA's can be found here:

Set File Type Associations (FTA) on Windows 10 using UEM

\\ Ivan
---
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The reason I am using your method is so users can change default apps and the changes will save.  As far as I can tell, the new method is forcing default apps and FTAs.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can use both GetUserFTA and SetUserFTA.

GetUserFTA – Display User File Type Associations on Windows 8/10 and Server 2012/2016 – the kolbicz ...

SetUserFTA: UserChoice Hash defeated – Set File Type Associations per User or Group on Windows 8/10 ...

1. You can run GetUserFTA at logoff and export to a file, which you save to a profile location, which you save using a UEM Config File.

2. You can run SetUserFTA at logon after profile archive import to import the saved file with the configured user FTA's.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Ivan but can you post examples of how I would set that up in UEM.  I'm new to UEM and don't know how to accomplish what you are suggesting.

I really appreciate your help!

-Jeff

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here are the steps and the configuration I use for saving FTA's. This supports user chosen FTA's, FTA's from the settings menu (control panel) and FTA's configured by UEM (using run once).

For the following steps I (as an example) assume you have both SetUserFTA.exe and GetUserFTA.exe in \\server\share.

Go to the User Environment tab and...

- Create a Logon Task

pastedImage_1.png

The command line is:

\\server\share\SetUserFTA.exe "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

- Create a Logoff Task

pastedImage_3.png

The command line is:

cmd.exe /c \\server\share\GetUserFTA.exe > "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

Go to the Personalization tab and...

- Create a new Config File containing

[IncludeRegistryTrees] 

HKCU\Software\Classes

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Software

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config

This should do the trick. Please let me know if this works in your environment.

\\ Ivan
---
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am in a training class this week and probably won't get a chance to try this until this weekend but I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me!

Thanks again!

-Jeff (El Jefe)

0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any reason why this method would not save changes to the default browser?  Works great for everything else.

0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any reason why this method would not save changes to the default browser?  Works great for everything else.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Maybe depends on the browser and Windows version? It works for me.

What browser and version and Windows version are you using?

0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using Windows 10 1709.  I have 3 browsers - IE 11, Firefox 57 and Chrome 63.  The default browser is IE.  If I change it to either of the others, it reverts back to IE after logging out and back into my floating desktops managed by UEM.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Does it revert back to IE or to Edge? The Windows default is Edge if I'm not mistaken.

0 Kudos
ElJefe61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IE is my default browser.  I have removed Edge.  My management wants to stick with IE for now.  I am using an OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file as recommended by MS (Windows 10 – How to configure file associations for IT Pros? – C:>Windows Internals – L'équipe Franç... ) to set up associations and to allow users to change them.  Changes to the default browser are the only thing that are not saving using the method Ivan laid out for me.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Have you tested with the latest version of the SetUserFta.exe?

According to the creator it should work with 1709:

can it also generate hashes for protocols (http, mailto, etc)?

yes, but only on Windows 1703 and up . please use my SetDefaultBrowser instead on 1607.

SetUserFTA: UserChoice Hash defeated – Set File Type Associations per User or Group on Windows 8/10 ...

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a way to get this working without installing a third party executable.  Even with the GPO Computer Configuration -->Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> App Package Deployment --> Allow deployment operations in special profiles: Enabled it doesn't seem to allow logon with even one registry key that contains an App Store app. One of the main things I noticed is Calculator gets unregistered on second login even if you only capture the basic FTA outputs and nothing else in UEM. This can also happen on in place upgrades on a physical machines per a lot of Microsoft community threads upgrading to 1709.  You will want to do 2 parts.

Capture the following:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn

Setup a logon script to reset calculator after the profile is loaded:

powershell.exe Add-AppxPackage -register "'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1804.911.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml' -DisableDevelopmentMode"

I didn't test all the apps but the ones I did that were noticed as not present all work after the above work around. 

0 Kudos