VMware Cloud Community
milty2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 increased CPU on W2K8 - not listed in system properties or Task Manager

On ESXi 5.5. doubled CPU - 2 to 4 on a Windows 2008 server. The CPU count is listed in Windows Device Manager but not Task Manager - shows only 2 CPU's. System properties lists 2 CPU's. Thought CPU in 2008 and on were hot add/or do I need to also update/upgrade the HAL? Or am I good?

Thanks,

Milty

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's how it's supposed to look. Device manager registers the additional CPUs, but Windows will not begin to use them until you've done a reboot. As I said, Standard license does not entitle you to CPU hot-add in 2008.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This depends on the license of 2008 you have. Only Datacenter supports CPU hot add.

0 Kudos
milty2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have Windows server 2008 R2 Standard SP1. What's odd is Device Manager does list 4 CPU's. So it seems to see it "hot added" but not System Properties or Task Manager.

See below.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's how it's supposed to look. Device manager registers the additional CPUs, but Windows will not begin to use them until you've done a reboot. As I said, Standard license does not entitle you to CPU hot-add in 2008.

0 Kudos
milty2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks - you were correct. Appreciate the help.

Milty

0 Kudos